Breaking ground for a new garden - sort of

Mothergoat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks, Reinbeau, I'll give that a try. I bought a couple of rolls on clearance, and hadn't decided where they would be used to best advantage. I'll use those where you can see from the garden/house. I might try using some carpet I ripped out last week as a base for a more utilitarian path behind the barn. I have some more of that 3/4 minus, I'll see if I can get that big strapping son of mine to move it for me this weekend. :weight

We have deep rich clay soils that are very fertile, but with our constant rain it becomes very sticky and squishy.

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Old carpeting is great stuff to use, many of my fellow beekeepers use it around their hives to keep the grasses down. Good choice!

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, old carpeting is TERRIFIC stuff for the garden! It is also one of the best things I know of for smothering out grass where you want to start a new bed the next year/season... the great thing is that it lets air and moisture thru, so if it's over a tree's roots you don't have to worry about harming the tree, but put 'fuzzy side down' not too much will grow thru it, especially not if you mulch on top of it.

Pat

Latest posts