Broadcasting seeds

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I was reading in Storey's Basic Country Skills the broadcast method for wide row gardening. I tried this last weekend using green and turnip seeds in my raised bed but it seems like the plants are close together and I am wondering if I should start thining them. They also seem a little leggy is this normal at an early stage?

My spring garden bit the dust and I was hoping to have better luck with my fall garden. I really could not like it if my seed purchases once more cost me more than they saved me.

Thanks

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sure, thin them down to where they'll grow better. You can eat the thinnings as a salad or snack.

So next time, you can draw on this experience and sow them a bit more thinly to begin with. Unless of course you like snacking on thinnings, which IMO is perfectly legitimate, in which case you've already got the system down :)

Pat

gone 2 seed

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I did nibble on a few and could taste the mustard greens in the mix. A whilted greens salad sounds like a good way to thin and an added bonus of a good side at the same time.

I love things like greens in salads but my husband is a purist when it comes to his salad.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The legginess is probably because of the season. I find certain plants start to bolt almost as soon as they come up.:rolleyes:

I find with turnip seeds, as the seeds are so large, you can easily space them apart when planting, to save thinning later. Lettuce, carrots, and a few others are too darn small usually, so they always need thinning out. I usually trickle them down along a furrow.

blurose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I plant things with tiny, black, nearly no-see-em seeds I mix the seeds with white sand in an old peanut butter jar that I've drilled holes in the lid of. I then "sprinkle" my seeds over the bed. This allows me to see where I'm putting the seeds. I've done this because too many times before ended up with a big clump of seedlings only in one spot because I couldn't see the seeds on the soil.