Broke a Record Last Night

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Radio said record from 1890s for cold was broken by 5 degrees last night here in southern NY.I made sure to add dry gas to my car. Do you have any tips for dealing with cold weather? Mine for car is dry gas, bags of sand in trunk, always keep windshield fluid full.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Check coolant. The little floating balls may not be fully accurate but it's cheap and quick.

I am so totally surprised that young people especially seem willing to just jump in, start it and go! Watch how long it takes to get up to operating temperature. Maybe we don't have to wait that long to move it but it would be nice to know that there's a little warm oil circulating.

I often travel with a snow shovel and a broom, by comparison, it doesn't even snow all that much here.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just wondering how cold that record temperature was. Colder than my (-)2 F this morning I’m sure.

I have a box of kitty litter and a shovel in the SUV, just in case. That's more likely to be for ice than just snow.

I can’t think of anything specifically related to the cold but I’ll mention these.

Clean the snow off your vehicle before you go out on the road. Snow on the hood can blow back on your windshield and interfere with your vision. Snow piled on top can slide off and cause an accident behind you. Of course, since this is behind you, some people may not care.

Clean off your side and rear windows so you can see, including side mirrors. I see a surprising number of people operating a deadly weapon partially blind.

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yes, in addition to your list, NYboy, i have a snow shovel, wool blanket and extra hat and gloves. My car usually sits and warms up (unattended, plenty safe here in MT :p) for a good 10 minutes before i leave in the morning. Probably a bit excessive but i hate it to be cold inside my car!!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have 4 seventy pound bags of traction sand in the bed of my truck and a shovel.
Those are for weight over my rear wheels, if I had to open them to use the sand for traction I would probably need an ice pick and a hammer as they are frozen solid.
I keep a tow strap, gloves, hat, and a couple extra coats behind the seat. Phone charger in the glove box, and I always bring a bottle of water with me when I leave the house. I might get a dry throat hollering for help!

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sold as a gas additive called HEAT, (it is offered by several companies) as something that will dry up any water in the gas tank to prevent the water from freezing.

Another hint would be to keep the gas level on the high size. Water freezing in the tank is more of a problem when the gasoline levels get low.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sold as a gas additive called HEAT, (it is offered by several companies) as something that will dry up any water in the gas tank to prevent the water from freezing.

Another hint would be to keep the gas level on the high size. Water freezing in the tank is more of a problem when the gasoline levels get low.

Oh, ok. Like Sta-bil, but for the car...

Latest posts