Broom Corn for Brooms

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'd like to grow broom corn for brooms but need some guidance.

For those that have grown it and made brooms, what is the best variety? I see multi-colored broom corn for sale and not sure if it is purely ornamental or utilitarian. I want to be certain of ordering the corn for brooms before I commit money and room.

I'd appreciate a name of a proven seed supplier.

Also, any details about the growing, harvesting and processing of it for brooms. Thanks.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm bumping you up, but this concept is completely foreign to me. :/

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've grown broom corn from Johnny's.

My interest was using it as a dried ornamental, not for brooms. It was a little too "robust" for what I was looking for.

The plants were robust, also. I've grown field corn and it reminded me of that. This isn't your tender, sweetcorn-type plant. Give them lots of what they need (nitrogen and water), then stand back and let them grow. At least, that was my experience.

Steve

Edit: Sylvie, Fedco, gives you some advice on using red broom corn for brooms.

Sylvie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanks Steve! Those seem to be what I'm looking for. All the catalogs that I have do not describe it that way. I knew I'd be asking for trouble if I went ahead and ordered from mine.

I've heard that the seed is good for the chickens. Did you feed it to them?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have not fed broom corn to the chicks, Sylvie.

Fox tail millet is in the garden every year. The chickens like that but so do the finches . . . . :rolleyes:

My job has been to harvest it before the finches do or it is just - - nothing!

That might work out for you since Fedco says that you are supposed to "comb out" the seed. I mean, the finches can strip the millet in a matter of a couple days :/.

Steve

Latest posts