Browning leaves on my new Magnolias?

joann

Leafing Out
Reaction score
My husband and I planted 2 14' Magnolias in Dec from a local nursury. We water them daily of 1 months as directed by nursery. Now after 4 months we have what looks like branch growth. these are thin like pods at the end of each branch almost every branch has one. The problem is that with the new pods we now have about 1/3 of the leaves turning brown and droping off. Is this normal? It has been very dry here in FLA. Does any one know? :idunno

Joann

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sounds to me like it needs more water - newly planted things usually need extra watering care for much longer than just a month, especially if they're having Issues as this one may be. Don't drown it, but don't let it get dry either. If you're unsure how its soil moisture situation is, dig a small hole with your trowel, about 4-6" deep, just BEYOND the edges of the root ball you planted, and see what the soil's like.

Have you mulched it? It should be mulched. That will help keep the roots a) moist and b) cool.

It may also benefit from being provided some shade from the sun for the time being. (Even full-sun things benefit from partial shade, and blocking of wind if it's in a windy area, while they are establishing. Otherwise they can be losing moisture thru their leaves faster than their damaged root systems can replenish it). See what you can cobble together with heavy 2" stakes and shade cloth or windowscreen, or any other arrangement you can think of. Afternoon shade is the best.

Good luck,

Pat

beefy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
yeah its dry here in georgia too. assuming you are keeping it watered once in a while, it is probably just dropping leaves b/c its that time of the year. totally normal. when evergreens put out new leaves they tend to shed the old ones. i have noticed this with my huge magnolia in my yard just this week. suddenly there are brown leaves all over the place.

Latest posts