Brugmansia anyone?

grove.in

Leafing Out
Reaction score
peanut179.jpg

peanut189.jpg

peanut188.jpg

Does anyone else grow these plants? I've had the variegated one for about 5 years and the yellow/orange one for 2 years. Living in Indiana without a greenhouse to keep them in through the winter isn't easy. But the fragrant, drop-dead-gorgeous flowers all summer are worth the hassle. Anyone else have Brugs? Peter

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I don't have anything like that. Only thing similar to it I can think of is maybe a trumpet vine?
Welcome btw, I'm Kat. :frow

The background of your pictures seems dark. Does that mean it's a night bloomer? or is that just the pic?

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow them and yes, they are kind of night-blooming in that they're most fragrant at night! I also grow daturas, cousins to the brugs. Their flowers grow upright. I don't have any pictures of the brugs for some reason, but I do have pictures of the daturas, because our bees seem to love them!

datura-overall.jpg

One of the common names of this datura is moonflower, and they truly do look lovely in the moonlight. The seeds are something you need to be careful with, this is also jimson weed, some people eat the seeds to get a little high - what they don't consider is they'll also get majorly sick in their stomach :rolleyes:

grove.in

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I took the pix of the Brugs at night because it's the only time of day I can wonder around and do that sort of thing lol :gig Not to mention, the pots are by the front door, so when I relax in the evening,the fragrance is all around me...love it!
The flowers hang down on the Brugs (angel's trumpet) while the Datura flowers stand up (devil's trumpet) I have yet to see a seed on the Brug plants, while the Daturas have millions of seeds!! Reinbeau, I think I had/have the same variety you have in your pic....OMG...the seedlings this summer!!!
A few years ago, I discovered some Jimson weed growing in the pasture (consists mostly of dirt/weeds/ some grass) I thought it was sooo nice...so I let it grow....OMG next year there were millions of plants!! I have read were it will get you more then "a little high " something about loosing consciousness for a few days. KIDS,DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!:old
Never the less, Daturas are beautiful. Here's a purple variety that I grew last summer.

peanut134.jpg

Thanks Kat, I'm Peter :frow

sgtsheart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Beautiful flowers. The moonflowers I'm familiar with. Has a seed sort of like a morning glory. Have to knick it before planting? I'm thinking somehow related to 4 o'clocks (their bloomng habits) or night blooming jasmine? I don't know about the other plants, but night blooming jasmine scent, if strong enough, gives me a killer headache. Bummer.

P.S. Y'all if I don't make much sense today, please forgive. Day 2 without smokes and it's taking longer to jump start my brain. :he

Reinbeau

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
sgtsheart said:
Beautiful flowers. The moonflowers I'm familiar with. Has a seed sort of like a morning glory. Have to knick it before planting?
No, they don't need nicking, but it's funny you bring up morning glories, as there is the moonflower in that family - that's why I really don't like common names.
I'm thinking somehow related to 4 o'clocks (their bloomng habits) or night blooming jasmine?
No, they aren't related, they just all share the same thread that they're scented at night.
I don't know about the other plants, but night blooming jasmine scent, if strong enough, gives me a killer headache. Bummer.
I feel the same way about easter lilies and paperwhites. I can't stand the smell of them, it's too strong!

P.S. Y'all if I don't make much sense today, please forgive. Day 2 without smokes and it's taking longer to jump start my brain. :he
I just read your post over at BYC - hang in there, you can do it! You're strong enough to get rid of those nasty things forever! :yiipchick

grove.in

Leafing Out
Reaction score
"Beautiful flowers. The moonflowers I'm familiar with. Has a seed sort of like a morning glory. Have to knick it before planting?"

You're thinking of the moonflower vine (Ipomoea alba) Yes, it is a relative to the Morning glory. (Big ,chunky seeds that you should knick and soak before you plant) I believe "moonflower" is a generic name given to a few plants... I've heard the white Daturas referred to as a Moonflower bush.

Latest posts