Brugmansia Cuttings

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I have a couple of people I would like to send cuttings to - should I wait until it's either done blooming or right before the first frost or can I take cuttings now?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Once the Brugmansia starts to bloom it will continue to bloom up until the frost takes it.

So enjoy your blooms, there is plenty of time to worry about cuttings. Just watch the news and when you are advised of your first full frost, then go cut them and bring them in to put into vases of water.

Ron

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just thought of something.

When you finally do cut them, be sure and cut off all the lower leaves as well. This way you are left with a thick stalk and just the few top leaves to the stem ends.

Then make a judgment call on where to cut shorter. Ideally all that is needed for a start is 6 inches of stem. So a 3ft length can create six cuttings. Sometimes I let the end part with the leaf material have a longer stem.

Don't worry about all that leaf material. It will replace itself soon enough LOL. I once had 20 starts on my kitchen table for nearly 3 months !! It slowly became a jungle! :rose

Ron

Broke Down Ranch

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
I just thought of something.

When you finally do cut them, be sure and cut off all the lower leaves as well. This way you are left with a thick stalk and just the few top leaves to the stem ends.

Then make a judgment call on where to cut shorter. Ideally all that is needed for a start is 6 inches of stem. So a 3ft length can create six cuttings. Sometimes I let the end part with the leaf material have a longer stem.

Don't worry about all that leaf material. It will replace itself soon enough LOL. I once had 20 starts on my kitchen table for nearly 3 months !! It slowly became a jungle! :rose

Ron
So it will be ok for some of the cuttings to not have any leaf on them at all?

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't worry,

I bet I will be cutting mine before you have to cut yours. Then I will give a tutorial!

It isn't torture to the plant, trust me! :sick

Ron

carolinagirl

Sprout
Reaction score
I had an Angel Trumpet that is about three yrs old. It comes up every year but does not bloom. It bloomed the first year and has not bloomed since.
What should I do? We live in SC which is zone 8. I have a purple Datura that comes up form seed and blooms every year. Anyone want seeds?

Latest posts