Bue bird boxes

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I guess this is kind of garden related since we probably all like to have beautiful birds around our gardens.
I wanted to get some blue bird boxes so I was searching on line and I found out that our Game Commission sells them at their nursery for $7. I couldn't believe it so I called and that is correct. I am going on Thursday to buy a dozen. We own a cemetery and last year we had a load of blue birds and I am hoping to convince them to stay. Also a good excuse to see what else they may have at that nursery!
If you are interested you might want to contact you Game Commission and see if your state does this too.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Our new renters! lol Lots of bluebirds and nuthatches around this year.
5719_dsc02746.jpg

5719_dsc02749.jpg

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Oh gorgeous! We've been swamped with blue birds this spring as well. They've been scarce for a number of years now, maybe I'm just in a more populated blue bird area where we are now.

I see several sitting out on my daughter's play house watching the ducks eat breakfast.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
No matter how many times I see them they are still a thrill for me. :)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They really are so wonderful to watch. I get so excited and my husband just laughs at me. Though, when I was little my grandmother and I would sit at her kitchen table with bird books watching all the birds at her feeders and talking about what they were. On the VERY rare occasion we saw a blue bird she would get so excited and talk about how rare they were. That was back when I lived in CT.... heck, that was 15-18 years ago.

congrats on your houses! That is a good deal. :hugs

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I looked up plans last year and put together 4 from scrap wood on a rainy afternoon. It is amazingly easy to knock them together. I put one on each corner of my 2 acres as that is the spacing required (about 100 yards apart). It was too late for them to be used as nests last year, but a couple were used as roosts for the night. This year there is fresh nesting material in 3 of them. We do enjoy having them around.

bluebird

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
We have them year around, hence my name! I used to be a member of the Indiana Bluebird Society, but now we just monitor the boxes we have here. They thrill me too! I work at the county park where we keep LOTS of bb boxes and are successful every year.

Purple Strawberry

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Ridgerunner said:
I looked up plans last year and put together 4 from scrap wood on a rainy afternoon. It is amazingly easy to knock them together. I put one on each corner of my 2 acres as that is the spacing required (about 100 yards apart). It was too late for them to be used as nests last year, but a couple were used as roosts for the night. This year there is fresh nesting material in 3 of them. We do enjoy having them around.
Where did you get the plans from?