Buffalo Gnats Again!

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Down here anything north of I-20 is the north. I've heard some people argue it's I-10 but I'm not that restrictive.
Up here, we say the Mason Dixon line is I70...... there really is a huge difference in dialect and temp from NE Indiana and central and southern Indiana.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Down here anything north of I-20 is the north. I've heard some people argue it's I-10 but I'm not that restrictive.

Well, I'm about 20 miles SOUTH of I-20. Is the line moving? LOL

Do y'all have LuvBugs? Over the last couple of years, we've seen them as they slowly move Northward. Those things are so horrid. Sure make a mess of your vehicle. You better keep your mouth closed too! LOL

Cinderloowho

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Any one else being assaulted by buffalo gnats this spring? We got them earlier this week. They are bothering the chickens pretty bad. I guess if the gnats remain I will set the fan up in the chicken yard so the birds can sit in front of a strong breeze. Their bites make big painful welts on me. And they go right in your ears and up your nose! I don't know how other critters stand them.
I'm not sure what they are, but we have plenty of flying, biting, stinging, aggravating, obnoxious bugs as it is, so I hope we don't have them! I had never heard of buffalo gnats before this spring, and now I'm seeing things about them everywhere.

Cinderloowho

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I’ve had to deal with clouds of gnats in the chicken coop before. Vanilla repels them. I hung those Christmas tree yellow car air fresheners, vanilla scented, in the coop and gnats stayed away. When they got really bad, I sprayed the hens after they roosted for the night. You might try a spritz of vanilla and see if it works for you.
ooh, the vanilla things, I'm going to buy them by the case! lol!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can watch my hands but I have had good success just spraying my hat with OFF.

That has worked for both mosquitoes and for blackflies. Blackfies haven't really been in terrible swarms and I understand that there are several species with that common name.

Fortunately, gardening is my most common outdoor activity and neither bug is common in my gardens or yard.

The critters have just circled around me and I keep my hat pulled down, long-sleeve shirt buttoned up. Anyway, I appreciate not having to put it on my skin.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had bought a spray called "Buggins" a couple years ago and was kind of put off by the smell. But desperate times call for desperate measures, so I sprayed myself down with it this morning before going out to work in the garden. Got no bug bites, or even buzzing around me. Hurrah!!.
Now I love the smell of this stuff, lol! It's all natural, I believe, probably has some citronella and other herbs in it.
It's kind of pricey, but worth it, I think. Our True Value Hardware store sells it.

Latest posts