Bugger. Peach tree grafting question.

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here's the problem:

My neighbor raises cattle in what our town considers "farm preservation land," i.e. land that was once an orchard 100 years ago and is now mostly used only for grazing cows and the occasional sheep. Neighbor is nominally in charge of it, and said last year that I could take a graft of the peaches on said land if I wanted, as he had tried eating them and they tasted good. So, last fall I ordered grafting rootstock.

March comes, and no rootstock in the mail. I email company, asking what happened, they said they're busy but it should show up by third week of March. OK, still did not show up...I emailed again first week of April, they said again, they are busy but it shows in their system the order exists and is being filled, I should receive it shortly.

Rootstock showed up, still dormant, on Friday evening.

Yeah, well, here's the problem:
peachtreeflower.jpg

Does this look dormant to you? Or even nearly, sorta dormant, like it might be OK to graft? 'Cause it sure looks pretty lively to me. :barnie

Yeah, yeah, I know, as soon as I realized the rootstock wasn't going to show up in a timely fashion, I should have gotten the scionwood and put it in the fridge. Except I think DH would have killed me dead if his apple juice had to share fridge space with 36" bundles of peach branches. :rant He's a good man, but he has his limits. Anyway, all the spare fridge space this spring was filled with maple sap waiting to be boiled down.

Worse, when I hiked over to the neighbor's today, half his peach trees were dead of neglect. Lightning strikes, bugs, fungus etc. all the usual reasons peach trees croak. I would have trimmed and sprayed them for him if he had let me know they needed it--dormant oil is only sold in freakin' giant gallon bottles, and I use about 4 tbsp. per year. It would have been no big deal for me to mosey over some autumn afternoon with the dogs and let the puppies practice working his cattle while I worked on his orchard. He knows this, I have told him in person and in email many times. :somad He's got about two surviving peaches and two sloes. And what looks like some sort of cherries maybe.

Theoretically I can get grafts next year, although it will be about a million years before I ever get peaches out of them. In the meantime, what do I do with $40 worth of Lovell rootstock? Can I plant it in a spot on the edge of the yard and just let it do its thing for a year, then prune it back in autumn and re-dig it in the spring? Do I keep it in pots? What do I do here? I don't want to let it go to waste.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I think I would plant it where you were going to plant after you grafted and let them grow this year. If you don't mind rolling around on the ground you can graft onto them where they sit next spring. Probably not the best way to do it but it would save you time and money plus a lot of digging. My limited experience with grafting has been with apples so by all means if anyone gives you better advice, disregard what I said.

edit: I'm thinking that your grafts would take better if the rootstock had a season to establish itself . Quicker anyway.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It's too bad the rootstock arrived befor you had a chance to cancel the order and chew the company out :/

I'm not sure what would be the absolute best thing to do, but my inclination would be to pot up the rootstock in good big-sized pots sunk in the ground somewhere safe, and hope the peach trees hang in there til next spring. Or just plant it, if you KNOW where you want it growing. Although it will be bigger diameter by next spring. I dunno. Maybe phone the company, chew them out, and ask them what THEY think you should do! :p

Good luck and commiserations,

Pat

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I read the company the riot act, and their contention is that the reason the rootstocks were late was because--you'll love this--they were actually saving me money by shipping the rootstocks in the same shipment as my grapevines. Saving me $25 in shipping costs. :th

Brilliant. Just sayin', this has not been a pleasant experience with Raintree Nursery. The grapevines they sent look OK, they had some good varieties, but honestly...not exactly geniuses in the grafting department.

As far as, "What do I do now," the first customer service person said, "well, you could try...and if it doesn't take, just cut that piece off and put on a new graft next year..." The fruit tree dude said what youse guys recommended, either pot them up or plant them for grafting next March.

They were very sorry. Yeah, well...

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So sorry your dealing with the mess. I wish I could remember more of what my great grandpa did with his fruit trees - he really had the grafting stuff down to a science. You could try maybe 1 graft now just to see what happens. I will say this: even if you do everything right sometimes you loose the graft anyway so there is always a little trial and error when it comes to grafting. Best of luck! Hope everything works out for you.

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
What do you mean by "bud peach trees".....?

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ridgerunner - sorry it took so long for me to get back to you about budding peach trees. I've always called it " chip budding" so I wasn't sure what you meant ( so sorry). Chip budding and T budding are actually recommended for peaches , cherries and basically all of the "stone" fruits because with whip and tongue grafting there is a greater chance that the graft won't take. I guess the people that write the gardening books have had better luck chip budding peaches and such. Hope this helps and , again , sorry I didn't answer sooner!

Oh yeah! Chip budding and T budding are considered grafting too. I think that might be what threw me off!

Latest posts