BUGS on the mater plants HELP

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey ya'll
We have these little beetles on our tomatoes that are eating everything. They look like fat lady bugs but they are not lady bugs. Any guesses? If you know what they are what could I put on them to get rid of them. We are trying to stay as organic as possible....I picked probably 30 off today. They must taste awful because the chickens wouldn't even eat them!!

Thanks
Tink

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Can you give us a better description? Are they brown with white stripes cause if they are you have potato bugs. Not really sure how well it works (I spray) but some people claim that you can plant marigolds between and close to about any plants in your garden and it will help will bugs. I am sure others will reply, good luck!

Hobby

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey Thanks for the reply. They are red with blacks dots and look just like fat lady bugs. When they walk they use their front legs and their tail. Wierd.....
Tink

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tail? Would you be able to get a photo of them? I can help you post it, if you never have. :)

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Well, it really doesn't have a tail. It kinda moves like an inch wrom if it needs to. It has a few legs at the front of its body. I will need to wait for my daughter to come home with her camera.
Tink

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That would be great. While the description only partially gels, I'd like to make sure, first and foremost, that they aren't the larval stage of ladybugs. Then we can go from there. :)

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hey..I know that they are not lady bugs or their babies. I have tose too. These things start out small and get bigger and bigger. I will try to get a photo.
tink

Firefyter-Emt

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
That sure sounds like a larva stage potato beetle to me, do they look like this?

colpot1.jpg

Tutter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, at least we can rule one out! :)

Firefyter, it does sound like a larval-something, and that one's marked correctly. Look at what different colors they can be at that stage....here's an all red and black.

Potato Beetle

I've never had them, we worry about the click beetles here.

Tink

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Fire EMT...You win the jack pot!!!!!! Now why are they on my tomato's? Yeah!! So how bad are they?
Tink

Latest posts