Bugs on tomatoes

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Never seen these guys before, any idea what it is? They're on my topsy turvey tomatoes. Threw them in the chicken run, where they were ignored.

6992_imag1431-1.jpg

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The above squash bug picture was last year's horror. I've vowed to be more proactive this year. I'm squashing the bugs daily. So far it's been minimal, although the cucumber beetles are out of control.

SuperChemicalGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Yeah, it's hard to win here with the weather (while the rest of you are are sweating we're still in the 55-65 range at night), the animals (deer/groundhogs), the bugs and slugs, the hail... and then destructive chickens (which thankfully aren't so destructive this year).

Just went out and squished again, only got about 30 cucumber beetles and 1 squash bug that was in the act of laying eggs. Nasty! Squish!

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pygamic! Mix with canola oil and dish soap. oil smothers them, pyganic is an organic pesticide.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't know if we can buy PyGanic is garden-size bottles. $65 or $70 is quite an investment for pyrethrum. Any ideas, April?

I use to use pyrethrin/rotenone but that product no longer seems to be available. It killed stink bugs & cucumber beetles for me.

Pyrethrum = Chrysanthemum plants = natural insecticide. Pyrethrins = active insecticidal organic compounds. Any similar spellings are probably the man-made synthetics. Those synthetics are very, very common and it is interesting that they are copies, to a varying degree, of an organic bug-killer.

Both Safer & Concern make organic pesticides with pyrethrin & soap. Bonide has pyrethrin with a synergist, piperonyl butoxide - which makes it non-organic. Somebody makes it with neem oil instead but I've forgotten who. The bottles of pyrethrin & soap concentrate are for hose-end sprayers. I'm not real fond of that approach and the small, read-to-use spray bottles are too expensive for very many plants.

Spinosad is not supposed to be real effective against stink bugs & cucumber beetles so I'll have to come up with some form of pyrethrin if they show up in my gardens this year in any numbers . . .

Steve

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Green Light is really great. Their product line is affordable and in a lot of regular markets. I just paid $505 for my bottle of Pyganic! It should last a few years though. It was a real shock as they quoted me $168 over the phone. We just pick up at the farm store and they bill us later. I thought it was a mistake!!!!!!!!

Anyway, try the green light series.

Latest posts