Building a greenhouse!

bigredfeather

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
After several years of talking about it, we had decided to put up a greenhouse. The structure is going to be made of 2"x4" painted lumber, and we bought some covering from TEK Suppy. The greenhouse is going to be 8'wide and 12'-16' long. It is going to be a lean-to style connecting to a shed I have on my property.
First question: Most greenhouses I see have a fairly steep roof on them. Does anyone know if this is significant?
Secondly, for those of you who have built a greenhouse, what type fastener did you use to attach the covering to the frame? Plastic top tar paper nails would be my first thought, but I fear over time the plastic would degrade from the ultraviolet.

Any other tips or suggestions are welcomed. Usually when people do a project such as this, when they're finished they say, "I wish I would have done this differently." Those are the type of things I want to know about.
Thanks.

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
bigredfeather said:
First question: Most greenhouses I see have a fairly steep roof on them. Does anyone know if this is significant? Thanks.
Would seem to me the steep roof pitch is probably necessary to prevent snow from accumulating on the roof. Heavy wet snow needs to be able to slide off easily to prevent tearing or streatching of the plastic or a possible roof collapse.
Honestly I am only guessing as I have never owned one.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is this a UV-resistant plastic from FarmTek, BigRedFeather? You will be glad to have the UV material but it will still need to be changed after a few years.

My greenhouse "glazing" walls (south & parts of the east & west walls) are redwood 2by4's. I lay the film over it and attach it with screws thru redwood 1by2's. I can pull the screws out, set the 1x2 bars aside and replace the film fairly easily and have done it a number of times.

Of course, the roof has to shed rain and snow. The film shouldn't be expected to carry too much of a snow load. Other than that, the angle of the roof, or south wall for that matter, may be angled to allow the most sunlight to pass thru it without reflection.

It is a little difficult to figure out the perfect angle because the sun climbs in the sky thru late winter and spring and you would have to decide what weeks are most important to have that light coming thru the film at the best angle.

I made something of a mistake with the angle of the south wall of the greenhouse. I set that so that light penetration would be best during December and January - but then, have never been willing to fire up the furnace to keep it warm during that time of year :rolleyes:. Of course, reflecting some light in late May is much better than reflecting light in March when the sun is still fairly low but I need every drop of it!

Steve :cool:
whose 1st backyard greenhouse was a lean-to against the garage, that was about 6' by 9', if'n I remember right

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
bigredfeather,
The steep pitch of the roof is to catch the most sun in the winter time.
By catch the most sun you will intern increase the amount of solar heat in the greenhouse.
Your in Ohio the same as me so the pitch of your greenhouse roof should be around 63 give or take. You are using plastic for a covering so you can use " staples and a staple gun then nail " to " thick batten boards over the staples.

TIP 1 - Installation should preferably take place early in the morning when wind speed is below 5 MPH, and temperatures are between 59 70 degrees Fahrenheit. Greenhouse film shrinks in cold weather and expands in hot weather.
Installing in cold weather can cause the film to be too loose in hot weather resulting in film flapping and excessive rubbing on stress points. Installing in hot weather can cause the film to over stretch and tear.

TIP 2 - When you get plastic again try Greenhouse Mega Store. (6 mil thick, commercial grade, 4-year rated clear greenhouse film, is $260.88 for a 24x100 foot role that is almost a $50.00 savings.) http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/4-year-greenhouse-film/plastic-greenhouse-film

Chris

Latest posts