Burdock...transplant??

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Can Burdock be transplanted and does it even fit in this section??
I have many more growing this year than the two last year. I'm wondering if I can pot a few of the smaller ones and try to sell them at a swap?
Some are smaller, these are the biggest ones.

Also, if you want seeds from these guys in the Fall, just post your username and that you'd like to be on the list for some Burdock seeds.
b-1.jpeg

bb.jpg

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I can't get rid of them either, lol . . . :lol:

Actually, on the serious side I was thinking of digging a few as I hear the roots can be quite good. How do you prepare them?

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are good? Who would have known? I kill them as fast as I see them?

Educate me, what are they good for? If to eat, tell me how to fix it.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Those things are all over the place here. I've read that they can be used for tea, can you eat them? I know that they have medicinal properties.

With all the burdock that we have here we could easily end starvation in Africa!

EDIT: I'm sure that they would transplant just fine as long as you get the whole taproot. Good luck with that!

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
You propagate Burdock! I always was told it was a worthless and troublesome weed. Who knew?

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've used it medicinally (liver tonic) and I understand the Japanese eat it as a root veggie. The tap root is so long, I'm not sure how it would do in a pot, unless you got them when they were tiny. Perhaps like dandelion, they will persist and grow even from a broken piece of root? All I have to do is go comb my horse's mane and tail and come up with 1000's of the burrs. ;)

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Secundo, I recognize many of the same plants beautifying my yard. With burdock, I tend to mow or scythe and mow or scythe and mow or scythe and mow or scythe from spring to fall with the hope of keeping them from falling off the dog's back and re-seeding the farm.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have studied up a little on them bc my horses bring me the burrs as gifts stuck to their manes and tails!
Burdock is a 2 year crop (for the burrs.) The first year they come up, then die back. The second year they produce burrs, which come in as green in late Spring/Early Summer.
Then, they die. The next year you can pull them out of the ground with the entire dead root, many times 1-2 ft. long. As I like to burn, it's kinda fun to pull them out then.
I have NO DESIRE to propogate them, just control them.

secuono

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mine seem to seed the same year...maybe it's the same plant every year, but then the root can't be dead....
It's a nice plant in a garden, takes up space, looks nice, easy to grow and as long as you trim off the seed/flowers, it doesn't spread. Giant fuzzy leaves are nice, nothing will eat it though.
I read that it's a root crop, but I'm not much of a plant eater....

Latest posts