Bush bean questions

Awww..Dirt!

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
This is the first time growing bush beans; will they keep reproducing the more you pick em?
And i have little black bugs like aphids on one plant, can I use a dish soap wash like I do for the roses, and not poisin the plant, or us?
:idunno

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the soap question, but my plants seemed to have tapered off in production after producing well for about a month & a half now. I've got a couple of plants that seemed to have tired out, so I probably should yank them. Actually, I'm waiting for them to stop so I can plant some spinach where they are.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My experience with bush beans is that you can't get as prolonged a harvest as you can with pole or runner beans. (The bush beans produce at least as much total, but more 'all at once'). It does help somewhat to keep them thoroughly picked, though.

My son's row of bush beans, still being afflicted by the mysterious 'tiny little axe murderer in the garden' whatever it is, has managed thus far to set two (2) teensy tiny beans. Woo hoo :p

Pat

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wish you could extend the production by picking! The bush bean blossoming all takes place over a few weeks, and then ends. Then you get to harvest over a few weeks. Once the last blossoms are gone, no matter how much you pick, they won't produce more blossoms.

You should be fine with dish soap, as far as safe eating. Just rinse the beans well. If the bugs are aphids, sometimes just a good blast of water will get rid of them. I would use a spray nozzle, not a full force jet, or you might hurt the plants.

Also don't pick the beans when the plants are wet. Apparently it can cause a wilting problem?, or some-such thing.

Latest posts