Butchering Day

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
Kate, how long did it take to do 10 birds?

so lucky, now you really make me want to see it done.

Mary
Come to Missouri and we'll go watch again!

That business gives a discount on the processed birds to the customers who help out on processing day. I'm thinking about it. I could hold a curtain up in front of the birds--that could be my job!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky, maybe you can hold up a corner on that curtain and I can hold up the other? :lol: And whoever passes out is the loser? Oh wait a minute, you've already done this. :/

Mary

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
ninnymary said:
so lucky, maybe you can hold up a corner on that curtain and I can hold up the other? :lol: And whoever passes out is the loser? Oh wait a minute, you've already done this. :/

Mary
No, I haven't. I even make my DH kill the wounded or ailing rodents or wild birds that aren't going to make it. He sure doesn't like to do it either! When our daughter's hamster was on it's death bed and seemed to be suffering, DH couldn't stand to just hit it in the head or whatever, so he rigged up this little mini-gas chamber to hook up to the exhaust pipe of the car. By the time DD got home from school, Fluffy had "passed peacefully in his sleep."

Smiles Jr.

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
lesa said:
. . . Hoping for a few cool breezes blowing your way!
Interesting that you said that, lesa. I live a few miles from curly kate and we have had several very windy days. If it was not for those breezes it would be terribly hot here in S.E. Indiana. Tomorrow is supposed to be hot and humid without the nice breezes. I'm glad you got your work done today curly kate.

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I was about 10 I was helping butcher and punctured the stomach with my long fingernails. Half digested food got stuck under my nail. Traumatic! I can chop off heads and I think I could handle gutting but plucking aint for me.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
After letting them rest in the fridge a few days, I weighed the meat before putting it in the freezer. Approx 51 lbs off of 10 birds!! Pretty good haul! We're having shish kabobs for dinner, so we'll get our first taste of the fruits of our labors. :)

ETA: The chicken was DELICIOUS!!

fair weather chicken

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
curly kate , do you scald them or dry pluck. we have a csa and between 4 of us we can knock out 25 to 40 in four hours but i have built a whiz bang plucker, really helps. and yes they taste great, tonight we had red onion and bbq chicken pizza, yum. glad to hear so many eating better.

Latest posts