Butter cups?

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
When I was a child I loved Butter Cups....played in fields of them :throw but now as a gardener I have butter cups growing everywhere! Any suggestions?

And they seem to have a mind of their own, they grow inside another plant so hmmmm :hu how do I remover the butter cup without removing the plant?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You will pretty much have to dig the plant up, disentangle the buttercups from its roots (same as you would do with twitchgrass or etc) and then replant. It's a nuisance. For some weeds you can just try to out-weed them -- pull up every darn leaf you see, as soon as it shows its head, and eventually the roots will poop out. However at least the creeping buttercup we have up here is pretty persistant and maybe not the best candidate for that approach.

In the horse pasture, I wait til they start to flower then I hack the entire clump off at (or slightly below) ground level with a string-trimmer or Pulaski. It works pretty well. Not really a solution for the perennial bed tho :p

Good luck,

Pat

Pat

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thank so much ~
Yep ours here have an incredible root system almost unbelievable! As soon as it gets really nice here I'm going out a digging! :rainbow-sun

Reaction score
I had one little buttercup come up in my side garden and left it because it was so "cute"
Within 2 years it had surrounded the house, overrun other plants and become what I called" the cursed flower" Something to share with your enemies...It swarmed over walk ways, ran into the lawn, resisted cutting and multipled by root runners, rooting on stalks creeping over the ground and seeded profusely. Now I dig it out were ever it turn up. Very rough when it gets in with Masterwort of Perrenial geraniums, because similar leaves when coming up in the spring. Have it relitively under control now, but will probably never look at any yellow flower the same again..Good Luck

Latest posts