Butternut squash

linamree

Sprout
Reaction score
Hi I have a question about butternut squash, This is my first year growing butternuts and not sure when they are ripe. I have read so many different web sites and still not sure. I know the plants are sure producing very well and cant wait to try one. Thanks linamree

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The test is if you cannot puncture one with your thumbnail, it is ripe. This is obviously a bit subjective because some us punch harder with rougher thumbnails than others. I think the way it really works is if the rind is hard, you can eat it. If the rind is really hard, you can store it a long time and then eat it. I'd suggest experimenting a little and see what works for you.

I don't know how familiar you are with cooking them. I've seen recipes where you cut them in half, put brown sugar and butter in them and bake them. When I tried this, they dried out and were pretty awful. Look for the recipes where you start out putting them cut side down in water when baking them. You will be much more satisfied with the results.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am growing these for the first time and am very excited to see them starting to form. In zone 4, we are no where near harvest!! When I cook them - I take the whole squash and wrap it in foil. Put it in the oven on 375 for a couple hours. I do the squeeze test for doneness. When you take the squash out of the oven, let it cool a bit and cut it in half and remove seeds. Then you can scoop out the squash and add whatever you like- brown sugar, maple syrup, butter, etc. If you run it through the food processor - it is more work, but the texture is very smooth. It never comes out dry this way! Also, the chickens love the skin and seeds! Enjoy!

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow :frow :frow

My first time for growing them too. I'm thrilled to see I've got 3 growing on my plant. I thought I would only plant one to test how it goes! the plant is very healthy & growing like mad. I have encouraged it upwards because we have had so much rain over here -- I will make little hummocks for the squash when they need supporting more. I have been using the bladders from the inside of empty wine -boxes as mirrored cushions to keep the courgettes & squash out of the mud. The mirrored surface reflects more sunlight onto the plant & seems to deter the bugs too. They even look good.....more recycling! :celebrate

:rose Hattie :rose