Cabbage and Brussels Sprouts??

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have 9 cabbage plants and 5 BS all pretty good size. Just how cold hardy are they? We are suppose to get some heavy spring snow or at the very least heavy rain, but cold night temps 28 I think was the lowest. If I plant them and mulch will they survive? I have never done cabbage and last year I got my BS in too late and it got too hot. Thnk you in advance for any and all advice. OH I have been setting them outside the last two days.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ah, that Colorado weather, eh? Too early because of the snow, too late because of the heat . . .

I woke up to one-half inch of snow this morning. Golly! It should be getting too late for this.

I wouldn't put them out just to be faced with the kind of weather you are describing. After only 2 days hardening, they are still tender things. Even inside a garage would be more comfortable for them for the next few days . . . they can come out to play during the warmest part of the day.

Either that, or put a cloche over them in the garden.

. . . just my 2

Steve

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thank you. I think I'll wait till next week maybe by then I can start to do some serious planting. Gardening in Colorado is always a challenge to say the least. We do need the moisture so much, so I will just try to continue being patient :barnie It did help that I was able to put some spinach and lettuce seeds in :)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Spinach and lettuce are excellent choices to start with. Two days ago I was raking more hail that dirt around my onion sets that had just gone in the ground :rolleyes:. Today, I should be able to move on to a few seeds. My soil temps must still be well below 45F but, gosh, it is time ;)!

If your plant is getting root-bound by the time you set it out - split the root ball when you put it into the soil. Only those things that don't like root disturbance should be exempt. Of those, the only ones I start as transplants are melons. (An important reason to set melons out after only about 4 weeks indoors.) Most plants can use that "pruning" to grow new roots to grow some other direction than round 'n' round :/.

Cabbage family plants seem actually to benefit from transplanting. At least they tend to respond by growing LARGER than they would otherwise and seem to live up to that idea that "what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger."
Steve :tools

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Howdy neighbor. Yeah...more snow tomorrow. :sick

I have some leaf lettuce that has gotten snowed on about 6 times and it is still doing well. I also planted some oriental vegetables that seem to be doing ok through this spring mess.

What altitude are you at?

COgirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hey neighbor, we are roughly 7000 +/- a 100 or so. We tend to get whatever weather Palmer Divide gets. I'm hopeing for the rain.

Latest posts