Cabbage,Lettuce,Broccoli, and mustard seedlings question

tommywalnuts

Sprout
Reaction score
We have a number of cabbage, lettuce, broccoli, mustard, and spinach seedlings. The cabbages are about 3 inches tall, and seem to be leaning over. Should they(and the others as they grow) have more soil hilled up around them to keep this from happening?

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Sounds like you might just need to rotate your flats or whatever they are growing in.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Do you have these in flats inside, or are they outside?

tommywalnuts

Sprout
Reaction score
They were growing in one of thoseWal Mart seedling starters with little peat plugs in them. Everything was growing all tangled together so I transfered the seedlings into individual peat pots. They all look healthy and green. This is my first time growing these veggies, and I was wondering if I should add more soil(like up the stalk for stability).

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
try rotating they might not be getting enough light...are they under lamps or in the window

as long as you add just a bit of soil at a time it should be ok to add but you dont want to rot out the stalk with wet soil

tommywalnuts

Sprout
Reaction score
Just talked to my mom, and thats what she said too! I have them under a light, will get a grow bulb or something tomorrow. Thanks!!