Cabbage??

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a lot of cabbage!! I am going to try sauerkraut- but I also made a mess of cole slaw. Can I freeze it?? Any other ideas for what to do with this crop?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a recipe for freezer cole slaw. I'm not going to say it is as good as fresh. I think it is a bit rubbery, but it is how I handled some extra. It's OK, just not something I'd enter in a county fair or take to a church social. I'd suggest you try it to see how you like it.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidevegetablesalads/r/freezercoleslaw.htm

I also blanched and froze some cabbage. You can improve the flavor of frozen cabbage by cooling some of the water it blanched in and freezing that with the cabbage, 2 or 3 tablespoons. You blanch it 1 to 1-1/2 minutes.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's a recipe for freezer cole slaw. I'm not going to say it is as good as fresh. I think it is a bit rubbery, but it is how I handled some extra. It's OK, just not something I'd enter in a county fair or take to a church social.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/sidevegetablesalads/r/freezercoleslaw.htm

I also blanched and froze some cabbage. You can improve the flavor of frozen cabbage by cooling some of the water it blanched in and freezing that with the cabbage, 2 or 3 tablespoons. You blanch it 1 to 1-1/2 minutes.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
make some kimchi ..this recipe calls for napa cabbage but you can use any cabbage at all and it is very good

this is a very basic recipe you can mix and match but stick with the salting quantity and instructions ..I like ginger in mine and lots of hot pepper ..if you have a Korean market near by they have the best red chile flakes to make it otherwise you can use crushed red chile that would be fine

http://asonomagarden.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/an-intro-into-fermentation-how-to-make-kimchi/

when I was in Canada the last time I found entire heads of cabbage brined and they were outstanding I quartered them and cooked them with a brisket and because they were not quite as brined as kraut I really enjoyed them! ..I vowed to try it sometime ..but maybe next year

also if you want to just freeze some for slow simmered soups and stuff quarter it and go for it ...then just chop them up and add to your winter soups...the rubberiness does not matter when you cook it down into a nice borscht or winter vegetable soup

you can store whole raw cabbage a very long time if you have a cool dry place (good reason for a Craigslist free fridge if you ask me :) )

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
HEHE I dont have any this year but am going to plant a mess of it for my chickens...can I do cabbage as a fall crop?

Doodle Do

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Fall cabbage is eve tastier than spring cabbage. Can with stand even some snow.
Chop cabbage and freeze for cabbage and noodles or veggie soup.

ranchhand

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wonder.... if you could stuff and roll them as galumpkis and freeze them? Then thaw, top with sauce and bake?

Also, perhaps freeze some leaves, then thaw, rough chop and steam with a peanut sauce on top. Sounds weird, but when I lived in Ecuador it was one of my favorite meals!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Stuffed cabbage is the best!

I also think they would be great for spring rolls, and after you baked or fried those freeze them for nice appetizers or snacks!

Latest posts