Cabbage?

JenniferJoIN

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what I can freeze/can this year. (canning newbie... AHHH!)

Is there anything I can do with cabbage or is that an eat-or-lose-it type of veggie?

warren

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If you freeze it raw it will go soggy when you defrost it. I haven't tried freezing it cooked. Have a look in the freezer department of your local store to see what you can/can't freeze.

PennyinOk

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
If you like sauerkraut you might try using your cabbage for that. :)

GwenFarms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
You can cook it and freeze. Its great that way. You can also can it, but I don't usually bother canning it. I save canning for things that don't freeze well, but cabbage freezes great if you cook it just till done. I like mine cooked to death, so I freeze it kinda half done to my taste and then cook it the rest of the way when it thaws.

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I found that cabbage is a pretty good keeper, in the crisper drawer of the fridge. It should last for a long time.

If you have a lot to deal with, the saurkraut is the answer!

aquarose

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My mother makes sauerkraut and cabbage pickle. Lots of sauerkraut. In a special ceramic crock (must be at least 5 gallons) with a wooden lid that she has had for over 50 years, probably a lot longer.

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Grilled Cabbage!!! It`s delicious! Chop it up, wrap it in aluminum foil with a tablespoon of water, a dab of butter and salt and pepper. Turn it a couple of times. Depending on amt. of charcoal it takes approx. 20 minutes. It is sweet and mild. Asked for now whenever we grill. Try it.:happy_flower

Grow 4 Food

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I make freezer slaw out of it. It is a very sweet slaw that will keep for almost a year (if you don't eat it all before). Kraut is good too, but never had much luck making it. I also take that large outer leaves, blanch them a bit, and fill it with dirty rice and roll them up to freeze.

Latest posts