Cabbages

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I cut a bag full of cabbages the other day. I was almost too late getting them out. I split them in half and threw them in the deep freeze. You can't make slaw or cabbage rolls after they are frozen, but they are still good for cabbage and noodles or in soup.

Years ago, before I learned that cabbage should be blanched before freezing, I used to just cut it and freeze it. It always came out fine to me. Then I tried blanching it...:sick Now I'm back to just freezing it.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I might have to give that a try. I still have 10 heads out in the garden.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ive got 15 pounds of shredded cabbage in one of those fermenting crock pots that will need to be canned in another week or two. This is about as simple as sauerkraut gets. Just make sure the water does not evaporate from that water lock on top and you dont have to skim anything.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/fermentationpots.aspx

I havent tried it yet but if I can keep my cucumbers going until I can that sauerkraut (plus keep some fresh in the fridge to nibble on) I may try fermenting some pickles. Thats probably one of those things where I make plans but it just doesnt happen. My Granddaughters birthday and then a nephews wedding may mess up that schedule but priorities come first.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
How long do you think fermented kraut will last in the fridge? 6 months? A year? I am not canning mine because the heat from canning kills the beneficial bacteria. I just store it in the extra fridge. I have only kept some about 4 months so far, before it was eaten.

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
so lucky said:
Why not make some fermented kraut? All you need is a big jar and some pickling salt.
I don't like kraut. Dew will eat a little, but that's about it. It will keep in the freezer well into the winter.