Caging cukes

countrygirl4513

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I just got some of my seeds for this years garden, I can hardly wait. The ground has had it's first till and I can't stand the wait. I just wondered who all besides me cages their cucumbers. I've had great success with this. It keeps the cukes off the ground and makes for easy picking. It also helps to expose the blooms, which is essential to be able to have the bees access them easily. This year I'm gonna try running them on a fence too. Since most cukes can be easily trained to climb the cage or fence. This eliminates getting into the prickly vines to turn them for the bees. Does anyone else do this?

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I haven't caged my cukes, but I have always grown them up a fence. It has always worked great for me. i have also done my melons--(yes watermelon) too.

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
cucumbers054.jpg

It is hard to see but this is a trellis I made, I like it because I can put them around anywhere the house where the sun is and does not take up much space. Looks pretty to when all covered with leaves. I do this for other things also and lean against my shed etc.

Works for me...:tools

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I haven't caged my cukes, but I have always grown them up a fence. It has always worked great for me. i have also done my melons--(yes watermelon)
That is a great idea, they do that in Longwood Gardens, they hang all sorts of melons and they run it up and over like a grape trellis. when the fruit or veg gets too heavey they make a sort of bag to hold them and tie that to the structure, it was amazing.

I am going to try my small melons on my fence this year too, looks really nice and save all that roaming apace.

Last year I did my gourds they look pretty also.:tools

GwenFarms

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I'm going to try growing my cukes up the duck fence after seeing this. I've decided to plant veggies in place of most flowers that I normally plant around the house. They bloom some and you have something substantial to show for your effort.

OCMG

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Thanks for the post. I'm going to try growing my cukes up the duck fence after seeing this. I've decided to plant veggies in place of most flowers that I normally plant around the house. They bloom some and you have something substantial to show for your effort.
Me too, I love flowers but they do nothing for me in the "getting something out of them" department. If I can grow melons or cukes up a vine and get veggies out of them why not, they have very pretty, allbeit small, flowers and that is good enough for me.

Also I need extra veggies this year since am into chickens and they can eat, I have been feeding them some of my last years frozen veggies I just cook off a bit of the water and they love them. Saves a little on feed.

Latest posts