Calendulas

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew calendula for the first time last year and were they ever wonderful to have in the garden-- but I had trouble getting them to germinate. Very weird seeds. They seem almost prehistoric. Since it is winter and I have time on my hands I decided to try sprouting a few on a moist paper towel, and some long, weak scraggly things appeared. Does anyone know if those are sprouts? And will the tiny little seahorse-like things actually germinate too, or is it just the big ones that look like hoop earrings that eventually become plants?

Attachments

• IMG_20230125_114504385.jpg
    IMG_20230125_114504385.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 79

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Were those saved from 2022?

Not a horticulturalist but you have some seed and some other stuff - black are the seed.

I grew calendula for years but always from purchased seed. Relied on volunteers in most recent years and 2022 had only one plant. Not good enough! Calendula are a neglected ornamental and there seem to be more choices of types every year.

Steve

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I haven't grown calendulas a whole lot, but it looks to me like you've got a mix on the paper towel of matured calendula seed and some immature calendula seed. I don't see any sprouts in there yet, but I'd keep an eye on the dark black seeds. They look like good seed, so they'll probably sprout.

Alasgun

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow them every year and save my seed. when i end up with a hodge podge of seeds like those, i still plant them all, but i’ll put 3-4 to each 3.5 inch starter pot. I never pay too much attention to the shape or color and it always seems to work out. For some reason; one year i only ended up with 6 seeds😳, but 4 of them came, saving the day. There’s some beautiful varieties these days. We use “select seeds” for the few flower seeds we buy and i always like the little “history lesson” that accompanies some of them.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well this is enlightening. I was pretty sure the seeds were the big things, and I was kind of thinking of throwing away all of those little tiny black ones. Lol. Good thing I asked. I will put them on a fresh paper towel in a ziploc bag, and then back in the kitchen drawer to see what happens. And digitS they are indeed from saved seed, Zeolights from 2022. I really liked this variety. This past autumn was unusually warm and dry on the west coast so many plants were able to produce seed, some ripening as late as November. I have about 1/3 cup of calendula seeds, so I can afford to do some germination tests to figure this out. Thanks for all of your assistance!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5

"Problems​

No serious insect or disease problems. Susceptible to powdery mildew. Watch for slugs and snails, particularly on young plants. Aphids and whiteflies are occasional visitors."
"Seeds can be sown directly in the garden, in the spring after danger of frost. Mark a row, and drop seeds every 6 inches, cover with ¼ - 1/2 “ soil, pat gently and water. Seeds should germinate within a week, and plants will blossom 6-8 weeks later.
ami_seeds_species_calendula-4387_full.jpeg

ami_seedlings_species_calendula-4851.jpeg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
For indoor starting, I sow seeds after the first of March. The calendula are transplanted out in May and bloom near the end of June. The flowers arrive just about the time as the snapdragons :). Nice combination.

This is a LINK to a TEG conversation that we had quite some time ago.

Steve

Latest posts