camera suggestions

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
What type of camera do you use???

I LOVE looking at everyone's pictures - and some of you (you know who you are) take such lovely ones that we really ought to make a TEG calendar from them. I had an old super cheap 'starter' camera that I had given my husband YEARS ago. It took passable pictures of things at middle distance but it finaly died back in May. I went to Walmart and picked up a Vivitar ViviCam because it was about midway between the cheapest and the $100+ range. I loved it at first - it could take micro shots :D and was easy to use. Suddenly a few days ago the shutter button stopped working. :( Everything else seems to be working just fine... it just doesn't actually take pictures anymore.... I guess I got what I paid for.

So - if I'm going to take the plunge and cross over into the $100+ cameras (and that's going to be just barely +).... what do you reccomend? I honestly don't know enough to make it worth while to have all those fancy settings and such. I just want a point & shoot camera. One that will let me take closeups of the garden & critters. One with a flash for indoor picts when experiments go well in the kitchen. One that will 'talk' to my computer without any hassle.

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm a Nikon girl all the way. There is a Nikon p&s (point and shoot) in that price range the cool pix line.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have gone threw a few digital cameras since they came out. The one I have now is a Sony cybershot. I love it!!!!

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
hum the digital camera

we have a couple cameras
the dw has a sony compact that is 7 years old and takes great pictures it has 5.0 pixs

when my dm passed away a few years ago was given her nikon d40 slr <single-lens reflex> camera it has been a great starter <body> camera 6.5 pix
it takes some of the greatest pictures. but the only thing is you need to change lenses for different applications plus put different filters on as well, but it's well worth the time to snap that perfect picture.
you can sink quite a few duckitts into theses types of camera between lenses, filters, remotes, flashes, tripods.

now a days either compact or body have 10+ pixs both have great features so you need to figure out whats best for your needs and of course your price range.

a good compact camera with 16x pix will run you around 250.00 + limited on features
a good body<only>camera with 12 pix starts at 300.00 a real good one will set you back 700.00+ 24 pix features are wide open to what you are doing..

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Nikon Coolpix. Walked into Costco a while back and they were $80. I'm happy with it.
And it's small enough to stick in a pocket.
Oh, and another important thing to me is that it can take cold temps without getting all sulky.

edited to add that it has 14 megapixels and a 5x zoom.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cane, make sure it has a glass lens. That's most important. Those plastic lensed cameras, well, if I was King they'd be illegal, lol.

These days even cheap cameras have decent lenses, long as they are made of glass. My camera has an old classic lens design called EKTANAR. Amazing how they modernized it into a zoom, and made it so small.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Kodak Easy Share M753 that fits in my pocket and takes amazing photos. ( see some on my recent Photo of the week post.) Then we have the big SONY (35mm style) it takes great photos. But I want a MACRO lens for it and they are bout $400 !!!

OldGuy43

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Many years ago a professional photographer told me a couple of secrets to being a good photographer:

1. An expensive camera will not make you a better photographer. The only reason pro's buy the expensive ones is that they are more reliable.

2. To be thought of as a good photographer take a LOT of pictures. If only one out of a hundred come out bury the 99 in your backyard and only show people the one good one. You'll soon have a reputation for taking good pictures.
I've found the second to be the most important, and makes even more sense today in the digital age. Since you no longer need to pay for processing take a lot of pictures, and keep the good ones. Delete the rest, or you could use my latest solution.

Use a video camera for everything. Open your video in Movie Maker (Note: Movie Maker comes with Windows. I'm sure the Mac has a similar program.) Find that perfect shot and save it as a still. You can than adjust the brightness, contrast and even the color. You can crop and generally just improve your picture. You to can be a great photographer. :)

Latest posts