Camping out on the Lawn

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
These babies are staying out in their tent tonight!

r1hide.jpg

It wasn't supposed to freeze this morning but the forecast 34F left frost on the lawn and ice on my bottom step. Of course, all the warm season things were either indoors with heat or tucked away in the garage. Then . . . we had a 68 day! It is supposed to be 44 by tomorrow morning but these babies have been in low-40's temperatures. Just 2 mornings ago, it was 28 outdoors and 41 in the shed-attached hoophouse!

That hoophouse is full of peppers and younger tomatoes. Their older brothers are going to hang out on the lawn with a few zinnias. I better not see them playing with the flashlight after 9!

Steve :)

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
They look snug as a bug... You get such a great start to your garden, Steve- once you start planting, it must be like "instant" garden, over night!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just keep admiring your hoop house greenhouse! i still haven't gotten mine up yet. :/ it's ready to go but i have to screw together the base so i can attach the PVC poles and then get the plastic on them.

my tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and a few other seedlings are rearing to go! just wish we could predict the next 2 weeks if we're home free of frost. this is the first year i have used lights over my seedlings and they are looking better than most years when i started them without the extra light! when the greenhouse is up i'm hoping to get lots of lights and shelves for starting/keeping my seedlings in there next year. less likely that my cats will try and walk over the trays. :p

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
They look snug as a bug... You get such a great start to your garden, Steve- once you start planting, it must be like "instant" garden, over night!
Well, not quite. There is such a landscape of gravel to cover that they might feel like a bunch of little Mars Rovers set down out there for the first weeks.

They have spent the night out in just the simplest sort of thing, rebar, " pvc pipe, plastic film:

DSC00034.jpg

I just put down 1 by 2's on the lawn to keep the flats up off the grass.

And, the Weather Service got it wrong! Instead of 44F, it looks like it won't even drop into the 40's! (Here, where an overnight low as warm as 60 isn't likely to occur until July :/.)

Steve :coolsun

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow, surprisingly you're having much warmer temps than we are! Just read that we set a record low last night, 20 degrees!! Glad i havent actually put the greenhouse up this year, i would have lost a lot of things for sure.it is supposed to warm up, high 60s during the day the next few days, and lows around 32.