Can an apple tree pollinate itself?

sparkles2307

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
The only other fruit tree we have (for now) is a flowering crab (not exactly people food) so I wonder how our old apple tree ends up with hundreds and hundreds of pounds of apples each year...could the flowering crab work? The bees live in oth and go back and forth happily all day....???

wifezilla

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I only have one pear tree and get plenty of pears. I think I have a neighbor somewhere with a pear tree and the bees are just being helpful :D

homesteadmom

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Some trees are self pollinating & you probobly have one of those. Plus the bees help to make it more productive for you. I have a self pollinating apple tree that we planted last month. There are self pollinating pear trees too.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, crabapples can pollinate apple trees (they are the same species), assuming they flower at the same time :)

Cultivars vary in how much they 'need' crosspollination, too... some will not set much fruit at all, some will set a good amount tho it will not be as big/good as with crosspollination.

Wild chokecherries, pincherries, etc can pollinate most (all? dunno) cultivated cherry type things, too.

Pat

Latest posts