Can anyone identify this vine?

DanaK

Sprout
Reaction score
My family and I just moved to San Antonio, Texas, and we have this vine growing in our back yard. It climbs vertically but not horizontally, has purple flowers that bloom in late spring through the summer, and has berries that grow in green "cages" and smell like tomatoes. It resembles a nightshade type vine, but I can't identify it based off pictures online. The inside of the unripe berries is hollow, and the seeds kind of rattle around a bit, the ripe berries have very thin skin and the seeds kind of resemble cacao seeds inside the pod, the berries go from green to red as they ripen. I'm not sure how to upload pictures, but the leaves are broad and 3-lobed. If someone can help me identify this vine (or even figure out how to upload a picture, lol) I would be truly appreciative. Thank you in advance!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i was thinking chinese lanterns but it has been some time since i grew them and i don't think they were a vine. i think you have to have a few more posts under your belt before TEG will allow you to put up pics. there's been too much SPAM that it is just a precaution they take.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Welcome, Dana. :frow You need to have 10 posts to the forum before you can post pictures. It doesn't take very long to get to the 10 posts and it keeps the spammers from driving us nuts. I'm not sure what you're vine might be, but I'm sure someone here can help you figure it out. Oh, and there's a section on the forum called What am I? where everyone posts their pictures for help identifying "mystery plants" so once you've got your 10 posts that's where to put your pictures.

Stubbornhillfarm

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
:welcome ! Does sound like a chinese lantern to me as well. Congratulations on your move. How exciting to see what is growing at your new place!

Latest posts