Can I Freeze Dandelions ?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lawn at work is full of dandelions. Was a slow day today so had kennelboy pick some for Harvey. He picked much more then Harvey can eat, can I freeze them? In the past I tired to keep in fridge but they turned to mush.
I think they will be mush when they thaw.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seed, is that field by your place?
Yes, it is. & it's worse for that yellow weed than the pix shows... it's no wonder I have to keep killing them in my yard..... This guy is a pitiful farmer.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
View attachment 19611 Just think how many jars of jelly that could have been made from this field.

Dandelion Jelly.JPG

You mean like this. I made two batches yesterday from frozen petals since it was too wet to work outside. I'll clean them up and label them today.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Where's mine? How large a pile of weeds did you have to start with?

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I can send you the recipe I got from @baymule . One quart of yellow petals makes about 5 half-pint jars. If you don't wan to use a quart, the recipe works just as well with two pints or even four cups.
I don't have Bay's dandelion trees, mine are from the non-Texas dandelions. I figure it takes me about five hours to pick and separate each quart. I'm extremely careful to keep all the green out.

And they do taste a lot like honey. Part of the recipe is to add lemon juice to get the acidity right. When the jelly is fresh you can taste that lemon. But after a while that lemon taste seems to go away.

lcertuche

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We bought a half pint of dandilion jelly for $5 a couple of months ago. My family loved it but I didn't think it was worth $5. I told DH and the Wildbunch if they wanted more they better start picking now.

We have a ton of honeysuckle and I've been thinking maybe honeysuckle jelly.

Latest posts