can i grow garlic in the house?

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i just realized i missed planting a couple of cloves of garlic in the garden this fall and i was wondering if i could still grow them in the house and when we have a warm week i would put them outside under some cover? usually in January we get a slight thaw and i thought that would be a good time to try this. the cloves are all starting to get green tops on them so i don't want to waste them if i could help it!

has anyone tried this before? or should i just keep them in the house growing all winter?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with an experiment! I would put them in a pot of dirt, cover with some hay, leave outside and get them in the ground the minute you can dig in your dirt. They should be in the ground now- but not growing till spring. Never hurts to try! Let us know how it comes out! Good luck!

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
thanks for the response!

i think i have a better idea of what i may end up doing with the garlic now. i may start them in some plastic bins i have around here and just put them in the garage for some shelter till i get them outside to be buried in the snow again!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think that will work!! They really need a cold period and time in the garage will supply that! Happy Gardening!

dickiebird

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I have garlic growing in the house right now. I found that some had started to sprout in the fridge so I open them up and put them in pots. They pushed through real quick and now have about a foot of growth.

THANX RICH

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have some that I didn't get into the garden as well. I read that it can be done but to use pots that are at least 16 " deep to get good results. I am going to use some 5 gal buckets. Where are you going to grow them. I am thinking of putting mine in the basement where it is cooling and using lights once they come up.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
garlic still will need a period of cold to help them grow, that's why we plant them in the fall. so i figured my garage would be the best place right now to put the Rubbermaid tubs to keep them cool enough and still getting light (not much but enough to stimulate their growth through winter). i may just throw some snow over the tubs to help water them and make them think they are going through a winter outside.

my basement is still in the mid 60's so it would just be too warm for them right now. but i am starting a few other veggies in the house and they will go down there to so i have some veggies for my chickens while it is too cold to grow outside!

might be good to compare the growth between our garlic experiments!

sparks

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
When I have garlic in the house that is starting to grow I push them into some soil. They grow fast but I use the greens like scallions. Nice flavor and you can snip them off several times. They peter out and never grow a bulb but they are tasty!

Latest posts