Can i pick and dry black beans?

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
if i want my black beans for seed next year, can i pick them still a bit "green" and will they turn black in the pod drying off the vine? or do i have to let tehm dry and blacken on the vine? they are taking forever to dry on teh vine this year!

any other tips for black beans drying?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can pick them not-yet-quite-dried-off and dry them elsewhere, but the catch is that if you pick them too early they will not mature and so will not be usable as seed for next year.

An intermediate option is to wait until you are somewhat sure they are about ripe enough, then rip the vines out and hang them somewhere dry and shady til they are ready (and you happen to feel like getting around to it <g>, which is probably the most common reason for handling small amounts of bean plants that way)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

headred

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I pick mine green and let them dry inside. Seems I get more this way. I do let them get plenty big before I pick.

curly_kate

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I did black beans for the first time this year. About a month ago, the plants started dying, and the pods started drying out. I pulled the plants, pulled off the pods, and laid them on screens on a shelf outside. They were nice & dried out in about a week. Piece of cake.

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
great thanks guys, i thin the beans are coming up this weekend....

Latest posts