Can I pick my rhubarb this year?

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Last year I transplanted some very mature rhubarb plants. This year, it is almost ready to pick, but my mom told me to wait two years. Every time I walk by it, it is really screaming at me to pick it-- it looks so good. Can I, or should I wait another year?

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I transplanted mine when it was mature and the next year I took a small harvest from it. That was 10 years ago and look at it now I have divided it 4 times since.
5713_p1040241.jpg

But ya got to make that decision. Mine sure lived and it gets full east and southern sun, not the sun from the west though.

:happy_flower Karan :D

farmerlor

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I am not a rhubarb expert (but I play one on TV.....okay, just kidding) but since it was already mature when you transplanted it I would think you could harvest some. I mean, I know you can't harvest from a new immature plant but a mature plant that's just been moved from one place to another? I don't know why not but I could be missing something because I can't get the stuff to grow here for love or money.

HiDelight

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
just be gentle and pull the most mature ones from the bottom while holding the base of the plant so you do not leave part of the stalk there

a light harvest this year is fine :) enjoy!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Enjoy :clap it is sooo yummy Sauce, jam, shortcake, upside down cake, and pie :celebrate :drool O Boy now I am going to have to bake a pie :lol:

:happy_flower Karan :D

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My mom gave me a recipe to cut it in 1/4" to 1/2" pieces, dip in granulated sugar and dehydrate it--it should taste like sour gummies. First she tells me not to pick it this year, then she gives me a recipe too good to wait a year. Sheesh!! I will be trying it within a week.

Latest posts