Can I save this tree?

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
This is sort of a "Part II" to my "replace a tree" thread...

I'd really like to save this tree. It's not leaning much, but there are a few cracks in the ground where the base of the trunk rotated. Overall I'd guess it rotated about 5 degrees.

I think the biggest factor (besides the wind, of course) in pushing this over was this very large branch. You can't see it all in the picture, but it's big..... I'm wondering, assuming I can't get a pro here soon, (any recommendations in southern NJ?) if I cut this branch off - and relieve a lot of weight on the side to which it's tilted - it will help with any possible recovery.

BTW the deck where this tree is is about 4' high, and 7' to the top of the railing, for scale.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Andrew

tree-branch.jpg

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Well, I don't know enough about it to know if anything can be done. It's just a great shade and privacy tree... we're kind of attached to it. I suppose we did get lucky that the storm didn't blow it down, which would have probably wrecked our deck and pergola. (Though I did build the deck pretty strong... not the railing though :) )

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would get advice from a certified arborist before I attempted any pruning.
It will cost some money, but a large tree like that would be expensive to replace.

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I would get advice from a certified arborist before I attempted any pruning.
It will cost some money, but a large tree like that would be expensive to replace.
I've called a few here in Southern New Jersey - I think the storm is keeping them busy as I haven't heard back yet, but it's really only been a day.

I just hope to hear from someone soon so that we can mitigate any damage that may be done if the tree is savable. I did cover the base of the trunk and the cracks in the soil with a plastic dropcloth to stop water from getting in during rainshowers for now.

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i think that branch should go. not just because of it's size but it's closeness to the deck. i can predict what the arborist would do to get that branch cut so it limits any damage to the deck. i imagine a couple of strong ropes set up to catch that branch from swinging into the deck rail and anything else it could crash into on the way down.

the arborist may also help give ideas on how to keep the tree seated in the ground but i would check to make sure there is no rot near the base or at the roots. i have seen people take re-bar and make a 'U' that goes over a large root that will help hold it down.

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
It does seem like that branch (and its branches...) weigh heavily on the "wrong side" of the equation here... I haven't heard back from anyone yet. I'll talk it over with my wife - we were sure we'd lose the tree initially, but if we think it's savable, it's worth a branch.

If it can't be saved, it won't hurt anyway...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd be tempted to chain saw the limbs on porch. Hook the tree and pull it up straight. Wait see what happens.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
It's true what you said, if you prune the tree and it doesn't improve you haven't lost anything but your effort.
Keep in mind that those cuts are going to make large wounds. Make sure you cut at the branch collar and don't use any kind of wound dressing on the cut.

Andrew

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks thistlebloom.

Out of curiosity - why no wound dressing?

I cut a few small branches yesterday (very small) and used pruning seal on two or three... always thought that protected the cuts!

Latest posts