Can I use

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
a quick process pickle mix(Mr. Wages Bread & Butter Pickle Mix) on my banana peppers? I want to make a sweet pepper mix and a hot pepper mix. I can't really find any recipe that I like - even in the Ball Canning Book. Can I make up my own without killing myself or others?

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can do anything you want when it comes to canning. Few things to remember.

Safety first. You need to have the right amount of acidity in your canning. Most recommend equal amount of water to vinegar. I have one recipe that only uses 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water but it has a good deal of salt, so do some reading.

After you mentioned it I might try the bread and butter recipe on my peppers. Awesome Idea.

What I normally do is take a standard recipe and change out some of the herbs and things. This way I don't have to worry about killing someone.

I am looking for some better pepper recipes so pleasw post whatever you come up with. One of my son's friend uses one with vinegar and worcestershire sauce and other herbs and I am looking to get the written version of that one.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey Hunkie, thanks. All the recipes just call for vinegar and salt - not very appealing to me. :/ So I'll just change the veggies and the spices but leave the salt and vinegar that is called for.

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Latest posts