Can we talk about fertilizing tomatoes?

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have spent several hours reading on line and have found so much conflicting info I am ready to pull my hair out!

My toms are in containers, so I know they will need frequent weak feedings.

I am looking for some guidance as to what to use. Some of what I read suggested to start with a higher nitrogen ratio ( or just an even ratio mix) to help early growth, then give a phosphorous boost and then switch to something with higher phosphorous and potassium to prepare for blooms. But I also read that toms will need nitrogen all the way thru to support the growth of the plant.

I have read to start with balance mix and then switch to a 2-1-2 and move to a 3-1-3.

I also read to use a 8-32-16 or 6-24-25.

Can anyone clear up this muddled confusion for me?....keeping in mind that I am using containers?

Edited to add.....
I think I am going to use this line called Sea Blast
http://www.hydro-organics.com/home/

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It doesn't matter....I would prefer organic but really, I have planted in Miracle Grow potting mix, so......:lol:

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am also growing in containers (wine barrels)! Looking for the same info. ALso, how many can I plant per half a barrel? Last year I planted WAY too many per barrel and had a lousy crop. I was planning on only one per barrel this time around...

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Mine are all in containers too, 3 gallon pots, and bearing like crazy. They are fed once a week, and given Miracle Gro tomato fert, just a bit weakened.
My plants are so healthy, I just made a post an hour ago asking about cutting the tops, they are so big and rambuctious that I can no longer loet them keep going up and out. (Inside a screened garden with limited space) The tomatoes are sweet, delicious and abundant.
Edit: I do have to water them much more often, about 3 times a day, the pots dry them out much faster than they would if planted in the ground. I'll try and post a newer picture tomorrow to show you how big and ripe they really have become.
8012_peppers-cherry-tomatoes.jpg

This picture is about a month old, the plants are much larger now, and I've gotten over 30 lbs. easily; off of 9 plants

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Holachicka said:
I am also growing in containers (wine barrels)! Looking for the same info. ALso, how many can I plant per half a barrel? Last year I planted WAY too many per barrel and had a lousy crop. I was planning on only one per barrel this time around...
I had read that a 16" pot was the minimum, and that is 5.5 gallons. My local master gardener program suggests 15 gal containers. I was looking for a wine barrel to grow a Brandywine in, but that is about 30 gallons....so maybe too big.
So I guess the short answer is, I don't know. Maybe you could do one large tomato, and tuck some basil and marigolds around the edges?

Mother....those are some nice looking plants! 3 gallons are pretty small, are you mainly doing cherries? Or do you have some other tips to be so successful with maters in pots?

Holachicka

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks for the help! I already have other small veggies surrounding the center, so I'll just keep it to one mater per pot. I'll probably do miracle grow slightly weakened as well. Mother! Those are beautiful! I ditto Dace's question about your secret tips! :D

MotherBrugger

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
No Dace, I'm kind of new to 'maters myself, but have did some research on other sites from some tomato 'sages,' if you will; and they said 3 was minimum, 5 was fgood. I already had a bunch of 3 gallon pots. I do have to water a lot, as I mentioned, and I think it's from pot size. But the benefit is they fill in the pot quickly, and then start coming up with flowers sooner. Yes, all cherries, and all great. 3 gallon worked for me, but I will say the next batch will be going in larger containers. :)

Dace

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hola, be sure to post some pix :)

Mother, think you will probably do great with your cherries in 3 gals. You probably will need bigger for full sized maters though.

Containers are new to me, I have done tomatoes in pots before but at the same time I had a decent sized garden....I just wanted to try more varieties than my garden had room for. I was up to my eyeballs in fresh maters from my garden and did not give the potted ones the attention that they really required, so I did not have a good turn out.
This time I do not have a garden so I am determined to pamper these maters along so that I can reap my rewards!

Good luck all!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
My porch tomatoes will be in 5 gallon buckets.

I've seen many people here succeed with that set up.

And they're cheap - free if you know people. :)