Can we talk Cardoon's??

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have two heirloom Rouge D' Alger Cardoon plants growing that I started from seed in late winter, probably about three months before setting them out. I planted them in the garden in rich soil amended with lots of rotted compost and manure. The plants have grown tremendously and expands in width up to 4 feet. The height of the plant/stalks average 3 1/2 feet or so. The leaves are an absolutely beautiful blue/green color and it is very ornamental. I read that the stalks and flowers are edible. They have not produced any flowers as of yet, and probably wont seeing how we are expecting a few nights of heavy frost this week. I know Artichokes and Cardoons are long season plants, but I was hoping to at least see some flowers with buds. The spiny stalks have a really pretty pale red color to them.. (I also have a plant in a 5 gallon pot that I never planted, but will cover well and keep in GH to overwinter)

Has anyone here on the forum grown Cardoon, and if so, did you cook the spiny stalks? Did you have a long enough season too get flowers and buds to cook? I know Artichokes need to be vernalized, but, cardoons don't need to be.. (Even though I vernalized them anyways before I realized it was not necessary.) :)
644.JPG

446.JPG

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have two heirloom Rouge D' Alger Cardoon plants growing that I started from seed in late winter, probably about three months before setting them out. I planted them in the garden in rich soil amended with lots of rotted compost and manure. The plants have grown tremendously and expands in width up to 4 feet. The height of the plant/stalks average 3 1/2 feet or so. The leaves are an absolutely beautiful blue/green color and it is very ornamental. I read that the stalks and flowers are edible. They have not produced any flowers as of yet, and probably wont seeing how we are expecting a few nights of heavy frost this week. I know Artichokes and Cardoons are long season plants, but I was hoping to at least see some flowers with buds. The spiny stalks have a really pretty pale red color to them.. (I also have a plant in a 5 gallon pot that I never planted, but will cover well and keep in GH to overwinter)

Has anyone here on the forum grown Cardoon, and if so, did you cook the spiny stalks? Did you have a long enough season too get flowers and buds to cook? I know Artichokes need to be vernalized, but, cardoons don't need to be.. (Even though I vernalized them anyways before I realized it was not necessary.) :)View attachment 9443
View attachment 9444
1332.JPG

A young Cardoon planted earlier in the season.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
What is vernalize? I've heard of cardoons, but have never grown or eaten them. Please post your experiences so we all might learn!

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What is vernalize? I've heard of cardoons, but have never grown or eaten them. Please post your experiences so we all might learn!
Baymule, Vernalization is a plants ability to flower in the spring by being exposed to the cold period of winter. Some plants that are grown in temperate climates require this in order to set bloom. Artichokes require vernalization to initiate the flowering process. Since they need a long growing season, you start from seed several months in advance in late winter, then when the seedlings have at least four leaves, move the pots outside to expose them to the chilly temps for at least 2 - 4 weeks. This process "vernalizes" your young seedlings and prepares them to bloom later in the season after the plants have grown large. I hope I explained it well.. Ginny

Latest posts