Can you plant "fresh" seeds?

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I've got a hubbard squash left from last year that I want to cook and freeze soon- I'm wondering-do I need to dry out the seeds before planting, or will a "fresh" seed grow? I'll ultimately have seeds to dry and save, but curious if fresh, wet seeds grow, or do they need to be dormant/dry first?
The squash is in good condition, and if the fresh seeds will grow, I may wait another couple weeks before cutting into it- otherwise, this weekend will be cooking time.

rebbetzin

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Well, I am thinking you can plant fresh seeds, depending on the time of year.

I once opened up a squash from the market, and the seeds inside of it had sprouted!

AmyRey

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
This is true. Every once in a while I'll get a tomato with seeds that are starting to sprout.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I *think* squashes are one of those things that, like tomaters, want to dry off and mature before being planted?

I do not swear to this.

Pat

NurseNettie

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm going to have to experiment perhaps... I'll get it cut and cooked this weekend, and dry most of them. I'll plant a few in seedling containers and see what happens- for future reference :)

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Winter squash seed starts faster if it's fresh providing the fruit is well matured before it's picked. If you've ever tossed one in a compost pile you probably got seedlings. If they were stored over the winter you should be good to go.

Latest posts