Canned Cherry Tomatoes

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have always heard that you can can cherry tomatoes. I saw a recipe on TV for canning cherry tomatoes and I thought I should share it. It was on French Food for Home, episode 73, "Well Preserved". I love this show by the way and if you have never watched it I highly recommend it.

Recipe used quart size jars,
Ingredients:
cherry tomatoes
bay leaf
sliced onion
1 -2 sprigs of thyme

Add the raw tomatoes, a few slices of onion and the bay leaf and thyme to the jar. Fill them to the top of the jar, add no liquid and secure the lids. Put them into a hot water bath for 1 1/2 hrs. Remove and let cool.

Then she used them to make soup with just a little cream and salt and pepper and a pureer stick. (She removed the bay and thyme)

My cherries are not ripening faster than I can eat them yet so I can't try it yet but if someone else wants to give it a try please let us know.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've canned them, just plain- no added spices. I had some golf ball sized ones, that worked out really great for that.

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
She didn't peel them, then she used one of the sbumersion hand blenders to pureer it so she could turn it into soup. I really like homemade tomatoe soup so I was really intrigued

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So the cherries are canned whole? 1 1/2 hours in a water bath? How do you keep it boiling and not evaporate down to nothing? Is this on Youtube? Sorry just want to make sure I understand everything.

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Jared, if the pot is covered the water shouldn't evaporate, but if it does you can boil water in a kettle and add it as needed.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Gotcha, I've never water bathed anything that long. Everything with a long cook time has always been pressure canned per the recipes. Thanks for the info. And thank you for the link!

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I always water bath my tomatoes bc they are high acid and don't require a pressure canner. I've only had 3 jars go bad on my in about 10 years of canning, and I usually put away about 65 jars of tomatoes every year. Usually I give them 25-35 minutes in the boiling water, then put them on wooden cutting boards on my counter to pop the seals and cool down for about a day or overnight. Then I store them. I used a can from 2010 last night for dinner. :D