Canning Conundrum

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So I have been canning as much as I can.... no pun intended.

The last few batches I did, when I came downstairs the next morning my lids were sealed, BUT I had a little run of dried juices down the side. Is my food safe? What did I do wrong? Never had this happen!

Wisher1000

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I am no canning expert, but it sounds like you didn't quite leave enough room in the top of the jar and a little moisture escaped as the pressure was released. I THINK it will be fine. Canners, correct me if I'm wrong.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No problem, as long as the jars seal you are ok! Are you using a pressure canner? Sometimes that happens if you don't let the jars cool in the canner- don't open the lid until the pressure is at zero....

DawnSuiter

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lesa said:
No problem, as long as the jars seal you are ok! Are you using a pressure canner? Sometimes that happens if you don't let the jars cool in the canner- don't open the lid until the pressure is at zero....
In addition to that.. if you let the heat out too quickly once you DO start opening that cover, the air (pressure) in the jars will bubble up and small amounts of liquid will escape. I have to open my canner top and leave it on with only a tiny crack to allow heat to escape and progress from there... then a bigger crack and then bigger. Takes HOURS to bring it back to cool again without the jars bubbling over

This is my kitchen post canning for at least a couple hours:
101_0055sm.jpg

BE CAREFUL because sometimes those jar's lids will pop open prematurely. I just lost a few jars from that... they were still sealed but when I went to go clean them up the lids popped right off. :( Sad, but glad that it didnt' happen when I wouldn't have noticed!

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That frequently happens, especially (as already noted) when you don't leave enough head space when you fill the jars. No harm is done so long as they seal. The problem comes with something like tomatos that have seeds that can get between the jar rim and seal and keep them from sealing. Unsealed jars can be frozen and used up first.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
There are a few things that can cause them to spill out. As already mentioned, not having the right head space and releasing pressure too fast are usual causes. Big pressure fluctuations during canning can cause it. If you can something that swells like dried beans that have not soaked/cooked enough, you can have those types of problems. If you don't tighten the screw ring tight enough it can leak, even if it does seal OK, though sometimes those don't seal either. Not releasing the air bubbles can cause that.

Losing a little of what is in them is not that unusual, but if they seal, you should be fine. I usually wash the outside of my jars after sealing to make sure they are clean. I figure if that causes the lid to come off, they were not sealed well enough anyway. I've never lost a lid while washing them.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone!

I water bath my things as we haven't the money yet for the pressure canner. Maybe I need to let them cool a bit in teh bath before removing.

I like the idea of washing the jars to see if they unseal.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Check the thrift shops and yard sales. Pressure canners are one of the things a lot of people buy or get as presents and for one reason or another never use so there are a lot of second hand ones around.

Latest posts