Canning Items From Auction

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I went to an auction yesterday morning. I was watching this pile of stuff get 'bigger' by the bucket. They kept adding 'stuff' to a pile trying to get rid of it all and no one was bidding. I managed to get the whole piles for $2 (It included some of those Orange mixing buckets my husband goes through for concrete so it was worth every penny)

One of the buckets had 100's of rings and jar seal tops for cans. (Included about 6 4oz jars.) All this stuff was new... but I would say some of the unopened boxes were maybe 5-6 years old... some were as far back at 20 years old! All Kerr and Ball brands!

Should I just through them away or clean them and use them? When would you say those seal lids are bad? The rings all look in good condition to me, but I never canned anything before this year.

Anyways the rest of the haul.... I got some christmas stuff (decorations like a santa stalkings and faux flowers) in that pile, a bird house with orginal tags still on it, a tupperware cake box, rope, magnifying glasses, tons of house cleaner, laundry detergent, about 20 gift boxes, scissors, note pads, pens, paper clips, hose attachment.... so on and so forth! A pretty good haul for $2.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
In principle, canning lids are officially good for about 5 years, like if you ask the canning-lid companies. (The reason for the best-by date is that the soft material around the edge that actually makes the seal, will gradually become less flexible and thus less guaranteed to make a good seal when used)

In practice, I think it would be silly to throw older lids out -- personally I'd use them for canning things where I would not be overly inconvenienced by some seal failures and that I was not planning to store for vast lengths of time, like for instance applesauce that we never keep for all that long and I don't mind having a coupla extra jars to eat right away. Or use them for dry goods where a 'seal' is not necessary; or give them away to someone who is happy using plan A above :p

Rings are fine as long as they're not super crusty rusty corroded scary.

Congrats on the good buy - auctions are fun, eh? :)

Pat

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Most of these seals really great actually... but I like the idea of storing dry goods.

What do you think about using them to 'freeze' some stuff? Like some freezer ready jellies? Or something ahead of time I know I am doing for a special event... something like a month in advance?!

I have lots of plans for what I have.... I do have TONS of tomatoes that will be ready REALLY soon. I also have black berries and blueberries soon to be jelly.... like lbs of them!!!!

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used really old "new" lids this year. My "junkman" friend gave me tons. I haven't had one not seal yet. I wouldn't hesitate to try them...Just make sure they seal. I love auctions- what a great deal you got!!

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My landlady just sent over a few jars of her 'yearly' sweet pickles, bread and butter, and relish. Bless her heart for being so frugal, but the rings were completely rusted and dented.

She had used brand new tops to seal them, but the poor thing needs to open her eyes to how unsightly those rusted dented rings look. I swear, every time I wanted to taste what was in the jar I lost my appetite.

It took less than a day to transfer everything into nice containers. Everything tastes divine! I sent her rings home with the jars minus the tops. ( I assume she has a rule about her tops since she marks on them the year and item ).

I would love to give her a new set of rings but I am afraid it would embarrass her. Uggh. Any suggestions?

Ron

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Oh, using them for freezing sounds like a great idea, if you're iffy on using them for canning or just don't need 'em for that. (You can use last year's canning lids for freezing, too -- since you don't need to establish a new vacuum seal, just have it seal snugly and 'basically' airtight).

Ron, could you put newER but not brand spankin' new rings on at least some of the jars when you return them? You know, so that it looks like you just got them mixed up rather than Making A Point By Putting All New Ones On?

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greensage45 said:
My landlady just sent over a few jars of her 'yearly' sweet pickles, bread and butter, and relish. Bless her heart for being so frugal, but the rings were completely rusted and dented.

She had used brand new tops to seal them, but the poor thing needs to open her eyes to how unsightly those rusted dented rings look. I swear, every time I wanted to taste what was in the jar I lost my appetite.

It took less than a day to transfer everything into nice containers. Everything tastes divine! I sent her rings home with the jars minus the tops. ( I assume she has a rule about her tops since she marks on them the year and item ).

I would love to give her a new set of rings but I am afraid it would embarrass her. Uggh. Any suggestions?

Ron
Just go ahead and get her some, Ron. She sounds like a gem. Just come clean with her and let her know what you are thinking. And make sure you give her a hug for the great goodies.