Canning on a flat top or ceramic stove.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi!

I am new here. I have a Kenmore flat top ceramic stove. I love it. It is efficient, clean and I have never had any problems. Now that I have a garden growing, I want to learn how to can some of my own fruits and veggies. :watering
I have researched the internet on the subject. I am still confused and apprehensive. Some people do and some do not can on a flattop stove. :hide

I have a flat bottom pressure cooker and I have used it once a few years ago with no problem. I did a roast and it came out great. However, at that time I never knew there were problems using such cooking ware on these stoves. :/

Can some of you let me know what your experiences are with canning on a flattop stove? Or if you do. That includes the water bath method. Thanks. :happy_flower

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have one- I can on it all the time (waterbath only). I do have a propane burner (made for turkey fryer) that I am using outside with my water bath canner. It keeps the kitchen cool. I think the issue might be weight- not sure. Welcome and Good luck!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's another thread on the subject. If I remember right, you need to check the manufacturer of the stove top to see what they say. I don't have one so have not read the thread in detail but remembered it and found it with a search.

Hope this has the answer.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23223

Editted to add: I see you are new to this forum. Welcome I've seen your name so I'd guess you came from the chicken forum. You'll see some familiar names here.

Ladyhawke1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you. I need to do more research. Is water bath boiling it on the stove until it seals? I hope I do not sound stupid.

I am going to get the "Ball" book as soon as I can. And, yes I have chickens and a brand new SQUARE FOOT GARDEN that is taking off like gang busters. Who knew! :celebrate

I have just started another raised bed and it will be planted soon with more goodies. I will later have one just planted for the chickens. Only, they do not get to do the picking...I do. :p

bid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Ladyhawke1! Welcome!
Boiling Water Bath canning is essentially boiling the jars for a specified length of time based on what you are canning and altitude above sea level. It is used for high acid fruits and veggies like pickles, apples, etc.

If you have the owners manual for your stove I would look there first to see recomendations on BWB canning. One of the disadvantages of BWB over pressure canning is the weight and the heat build-up. Good Luck! :)

tryingtohaveitall

Leafing Out
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, a bigger issue is that the canner bottom is often quite a bit bigger than the burner area of the stove and can lead to cracking.

Having said that, I've canned with a WBC on my flat top stove several times without problems. I did it before I knew that I couldn't/shouldn't. I've also used my pressure cooker (not canner) without problems on it as well.

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I have a flat top stove and have been pressure canning on it for a year now, and have done literally hundreds of jars. I usually have two going at once. I got the Presto 23 quart pressure canner, which is approved for ceramic top stoves. The shape of the bottom of the canner seems to be part of the issue, as well as the size and weight of it loaded. The most mine will fit is 7 quart or 20 pints. I saw a smaller version of this Presto canner at Walmart this year for about $69 and it holds 7 quarts but fewer pints, can't remember how many, maybe 10? So if you favor quart jars, it is a great deal. Have fun!

:frow everyone from ss!

Latest posts