Canning on a smooth top range?

Gram49

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I have not canned in several years and since then I have a new electric range with the ceramic surface. I have always heard that you cannot can on these stoves. Is this true? I am talking about the big blue canners filled with jars and water, that is all I have ever used.
Thanks for any advice.:)

Dilly Girl

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Nope the canner is far too heavy. I would not attempt it.

Dilly

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Aww! That stinks. I guess another reason I will not be getting one.... :(

I have a pretty old stove (about 15 years old.) It is still going strong. But when it keels over, I really, really, REALLY wanted a ceramic top stove--because they seem to always look so nice and clean. and one of my pet peeves is gunk getting down in the eyes of the stove.

But, last year, my sister told me you couldn't use cast iron on them. WHAT?!?! I love cooking with cast iron and over the past few years, I have vowed that it is all I will every buy as far as cookware in the future.

And now I hear you can't can on them either.

BOO HISS !!!!!!!sssssssssssss

Cassandra

nccountrygirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I'm sure glad I read this post. I did not know that you could not can on a ceramic stove. And you can use cast iron on one, I use it on mine all the time, just be carefull

Cassandra

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
nccountrygirl said:
I did not know that you could not can on a ceramic stove. And you can use cast iron on one, I use it on mine all the time, just be carefull
Woohoo!

:D

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Really? I can stuff on mine, and make soup in giant stockpots the size of one of those big canners. I didn't even know you had to be careful. Maybe I'm holding up the stove by the power of belief alone...Actually, I think it might have to do with the order of how I put stuff in the pot. Pot gets 1/4 to 1/3 full of water, then the jars are gently placed in one-by-one, then more water. I never fill the thing on the counter and then plonk it on the stovetop, I'd never be able to lift it. Maybe it's a weight distribution thing, I always did it to avoid cracking the jars.

SewingDiva

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Actually, I'll be a dissenting voice bcause that prohibition doesn't make any sense to me based on my experience. I've seen people use lobster pots, which are huge and about the same size as canning pots, on smooth top stoves with no problems.

I've also seen people use cast iron such Crueset on smooth stop stoves. As for electric stoves generally not getting hot enough - we have a Thermador electric coil cooktop and it boils water at least 30% faster and any gas stove I've ever used.

You could always call the manufactuer and ask just them directly.

~Phyllis

simple life

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I have a stove with 4 gas burners and 2 electric. The electric get just as hot.One of them is a superburner that heats to full temp in less than 90 seconds and its VERY hot at just 30 seconds.I would have to do research on this but I would be very surprised if you couldn't can on it do to heat.
For those who are afraid to try it on ceramic, this may be a stupid idea, but is it possible to can on a grill? Some of those grills have a side burner, depending on the size of the grill a pot might fit.Otherwise, we have boiled things directly on the grill before, you can turn the flame down low and place the pots on the rack.

garriss

Leafing Out
Reaction score
simple life said:
I have a stove with 4 gas burners and 2 electric. The electric get just as hot.One of them is a superburner that heats to full temp in less than 90 seconds and its VERY hot at just 30 seconds.I would have to do research on this but I would be very surprised if you couldn't can on it do to heat.
For those who are afraid to try it on ceramic, this may be a stupid idea, but is it possible to can on a grill? Some of those grills have a side burner, depending on the size of the grill a pot might fit.Otherwise, we have boiled things directly on the grill before, you can turn the flame down low and place the pots on the rack.
I have canned on a grill many times. I'll have one going on the stove and one outside. :)

Latest posts