Canning Tomatoes

miss_thenorth

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Do you want to make sauce, stewing tomatoes, salsa? I have always used Roma-- I quite like them for canning. i also freeze these whole, with the peel on. After thawed--just squeeze the fruit out of the skin and you have perfect stewing tomatoes.

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, what miss_thenorth said. Plum tomatoes of whatever sort (I don't honestly see much difference among varieties, except for yield and other 'growing' issues) if you want thicker type tomato sauce. (P.s. - if you want a smoothish sauce and dislike mashing or grinding, try seeding them, then just grating them off the skin using the medium-big holes on a metal grater, it does not work too badly and is MUCH faster since you do not need to dip-in-boiling-water-then-peel. Then cook down and can as usual).

Or if you like a 'wetter' canned product (either canned tomatoes or stewed tomatoes), you get about the same results IMO from either plum tomatoes or any good-flavored 'regular' tomato (if you have read my other posts you will not be surprised when I recommend Early Girl <g>), I don't honestly think variety makes a big difference although doubtless some will disagree.

Unless you want to freeze and *then* can, you want something that will produce a large yield relatively all at once (i.e. a determinate or earlier bearing variety). Preferably not at a time when you are going full-bore canning *other* garden produce, supposing that can be predicted :)

Pat

Sunflowers

Sprout
Reaction score
Thank you for the good advice. I'm mainly interested in stewed tomatoes, though I would like to can some home made sauce if I have enough to do so. I've never tried freezing, I have always been told that tomatoes don't freeze well. If I could have the same good results I would do that as well.

Thanks again

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
basically the reason tomatoes do not freeze well is they get all watery and smushy.

but if you are going to be making something watery and smushy *anyhow*, it is not of great significance ;)

Pat

Latest posts