Care of wooden handles

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
lighthawk,

Extra virgin olive oil will go rancid.

USP-grade mineral oil -
USP-grade mineral oil is a popular choice as it is the cheapest pure food-grade oil you can buy (do not use vegetable or olive oils because they can turn rancid). Mineral oil remains safe throughout its life. There are various oils available for cutting boards and butcher blocks. Some are called "Butcher Block Finishes" or "Mystery Oil." Save some money by visiting the local hardware or drug store and purchasing Mineral Oil. (not mineral spirits - this is paint thinner)

http://whatscookingamerica.net/CuttingBoards/AllAbout.htm

blurose,
Use Boiled Linseed Oil on your wood handles.
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Chris

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi Chris, I see it says nut oils are good choices, I like that! I had someone who makes wooden kitchen equipment tell me use the olive oil and bake it in. I've never had a spoilage problem because of it, that's probably why he told me to set it in the oven and heat the oil into the wood.

I do have to say I like the bee's wax finish! I may have to ask my neighbor for a chunk of his bee's wax he collected. Hopefully in a year, we'll have our own honey and bee's wax.

Thanks for the link.

lighthawk

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Too late allready applied the evoo. In the oven now.
vfem has been doing this quite a while and is still alive so that gives me hope. Will look for the mineral oil to use in the future.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Linseed oil is a good wood preservative/finish. I've used it for hand-carved walking sticks. It soaks in great and isn't greasy.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
A good way to keep the metal parts clean is to fill a bucket with coarse sand and soak some mineral oil into it. Even used motor oil will work. Then just work the Metal parts around in it. For shovels and hoes just work them as you would in the soil. That will take the loose rust off and leave a protective coating of oil on it. It's best not to get steel too bright and shiny. That just exposes it so new rust can take hold. A tight coating of light rust actually helps seal and protect iron from further rust.

Latest posts