Careful what you talk with friends about

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Man this has been a wild week I was talking to a friend of mine about my garden and we ended up talking about chickens and how they can be good for a garden will the next day he came back out and said he had something for the garden i forgot what all we talked about so i asked was he bringing me some plants he pulls out a box and says yeah plant these good and deep i look inside and theres 6 red rangers chicks in the box lol well i did say i wanted chickens but i was hoping to be more sit up for them before i got them so now i got alot more work to get done fast but hay at least i got some thing to do and not stuck on my butt looking for some thing to do:D

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ray, welcome to the world of chickens. I hope your friend didn't give you all roosters! (or maybe red rangers are broilers? so it wouldn't matter, I guess)
Please be aware that while chicken poo is good for gardens, the chickens themselves will tear up your plants and eat them.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, Rangers are meat birds. They don't grow as fast as the Cornish Cross but they still grow pretty fast. I came real close to picking a few up earlier but I was planning in being on a trip when it came time to process them and passed. Then the trip was cancelled. Maybe next year.

Ray, I understand about not being ready but it doesn't take a lot to keep them alive and growing. Good luck with them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a strange experience living with chickens. This was when I was in my mid-20's.

I had moved to the sticks, property with no buildings. The first week, I slept under a lovely Douglas fir tree while I built a wood shed/chicken coop. When the little building was finished, I used it as a shelter. My next project was to build a barn. The plan was for me to live in the barn loft for the first winter while logs cured for a cabin.

My brother must have decided that I needed company, sooner than later. Probably the second day after moving into the woodshed, he showed up with chickens for the coop. Neighbors!

I really got busy on that barn! It wasn't the best accommodations but, at least, I was out of the woodshed... neighbors were the same ...

Steve

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's how I operate best--jump in with both feet! It'll get you motivated to make it happen for sure. ;) Enjoy your new chickens. You'll be raising them for meat, right?

Reactions: Ray

Ray

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
That's how I operate best--jump in with both feet! It'll get you motivated to make it happen for sure. ;) Enjoy your new chickens. You'll be raising them for meat, right?
. Mostly eggs but the extra roos and hens that doesn't provide like they should will be used for meat ( if I can keep my wife from turning them all into pets lol)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's how I built my coop. It went together fast and was easy to build.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/threads/hoop-coop.18291/

At our old house, I built a 7'x8' coop and added a hoop run.

IMG640.jpg

Latest posts