Carpathian English Walnut - Juglans regia 'Carpathian'

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Carpathian English Walnut - Juglans regia 'Carpathian'

Looking for information from anyone who has grown this type of nut tree, especially in a colder climate.

I live in Southern Maine and have been thinking of trying this type of tree out. I know it takes 5 to 7 years to produce and you should buy a cutting instead of a seedling tree.

bob/Maine (zone 5)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm not in your climate so I cannot help you with that.

Not sure why you are so set against a tree grown from a seed. To me, there are three options.

The best of all worlds is probably a tree produced by a cutting from a known cultivar. I don't know how easy these are to find. I suspect most cultivars are grafted, not rooted from a cutting. I don't know this, just suspect this.

A tree started from a seed will still probably produce pretty well. Maybe not as well as a known cultivar, but maybe it won't be all that disappointing. Nuts are not quite the same as fruits as far as growing from seed. The advantage to growing from a seed is, if the tree dies back to the ground, it will likely come back from the roots. This tree would have the same genetics as the seed. That is a big advantage of a "cutting" too, if you can find one.

A third option is a graft of a cultivar onto a rootstock. If the rootstock is selected properly, it may give you a more vigorous, disease resistant, hardier tree. The disadvantage is if it dies back, whatever sprouts from below the graft is rootstock, not the cultivar you want. Another potential problem with a grafted Carpathian walnut could be that sometimes black walnuts are used as rootstock. My grafted English Walnut I got from Stark Brothers is. A black walnut rootstock will produce juglone, which inhibits or kills some other things that try to grow around it.

The main reason I responded to this post was to mention the risk from the juglone if you get a grafted tree. You need to find out if the rootstock is a black walnut. It may not be. If you are not familiar with this risk, Google "black walnut juglone" and read up on it.

stano40

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
That was interesting information that I didn't know. It pays to ask questions from owners.

I read that seedling tree's take longer to produce their fruit versus a grafted. I'll make note of root stock grafted tree's and ask questions before I buy.

I did read also about the black walnut roots system that kills off other vegetation around it. I wonder if the Carpathian English walnut does the same.

I'm a member of arbor day foundation and I'll pose these questions to them also and see what they say. Sometimes it takes a while to get an answer from them.

Thanks again for that info it is helpful.

bob

Latest posts