6301_carrots_008.jpg

6301_carrots_010.jpg

Stupid camera date aarrrgghh I took these today 8-14-10

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nice haul! :thumbsup

How are you planning to store yours?

I pulled mine a couple days ago and have spent most of today peeling, chopping, blanching and freezing them. I tried storing them in sand last year but I don't have a good place to put them that isn't dry as a bone or else susceptible to freezing...so most of them shrivelled and dried up before I could use them...bummer! So I'm going straight to freezing this year so I don't lose a one. Plus it's nice to have them all ready to go--just open the bag and toss them in!

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I will be canning them.
I froze allot of corn( like 10 - 10 lb bags) last yr and lost it due to power outages and not going to do that again.

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Holy WOW Batman!!! that's a lot of carrots!!!

ShowMe31

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Holy moly, that's a load of carrots.

We've tried carrots in the past, but weren't so successful so we gave them up. Seeing your pile makes me want to try again.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks.
Someone forgot to tell me and my carrots that they were hard to grow, lol. I didn't get much else to grow right this year with all the rain and such but my carrots turned out awesome. :tools :watering

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
dipence71 said:
Thanks.
Someone forgot to tell me and my carrots that they were hard to grow, lol. I didn't get much else to grow right this year with all the rain and such but my carrots turned out awesome. :tools :watering
My ball carrots have been in the ground for over two moths now. I keep expecting them to go woody but they just keep getting bigger. They look like big orange beets now.

dipence71

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
The only problem with that many carrots, is once cleaned cut ect they only produces 6 quarts of canned carrots.... plus what the kids ate before I canned them I thought I would have more to can lol.

Ariel301

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Nice haul! :thumbsup

How are you planning to store yours?

I pulled mine a couple days ago and have spent most of today peeling, chopping, blanching and freezing them. I tried storing them in sand last year but I don't have a good place to put them that isn't dry as a bone or else susceptible to freezing...so most of them shrivelled and dried up before I could use them...bummer! So I'm going straight to freezing this year so I don't lose a one. Plus it's nice to have them all ready to go--just open the bag and toss them in!
I don't know if you can do it where you are, but here we can store root crops in the ground and just pull as needed. But we have pretty mild winters, maybe only 10-15 days where it gets below freezing.

Latest posts