Carrots & Peas - problems & questions

jemagsy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I planted carrots (twice now) and had ten sugar snap pea plants (now two) and these little guys are not doing well at all.

The peas were doing great when I started growing them inside (early march) and when I transplanted them they did okay for a while, but then just started shriveling up and dying. The two I have left are real pale green/yellow and wilted around the stake. I have them planted right behind some BE Peas and next to my okra patch... however I only planted the BE Peas & Okra on Saturday 5/17 and the SS Peas were on their way out before then. Is there any hope of saving these?

The carrots are right in the middle of my garden and something keeps coming in and digging these up. Just the carrots though. We do have some rabbit-zillas out in the yard but I have never seen them near the garden they are usually on the other side of the house threatening attack or loping through the woods. (Seriously these things nearly come up two-thirds of the way to my knee if not larger - biggest rabbits I have ever seen in my life). Is there any hope we will have a carrot crop this year?

Rosalind

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think peas do better directly sown, rather than started in pots. I've never had a transplanted pea plant live.

WRT rabbits: You might not get carrots, but you could at least get hassenpfeffer. We have wabbits too, which have eaten three tomato plants so far. They are gonna be dog chewy toys soon...

bills

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You can bet that the rabbits will raid your garden at night while you are sleeping. You need a secure fence if you hope to keep some veggies for yourself. I had a fall garden raid last year from those wascals, and they darn near wiped out my leeks. They found, or made a hole in the fence. Never saw one during the day, or they would have been stew.:p

I have no idea what the temperatures are in Georgia at this time of year, but it might be to hot for your peas. They are a cool weather crop generally, unless you have some southern hybrid. Planting them in a partially shady area, and regular watering might let you grow some to harvest in the hotter areas.

If the weather is not a factor, perhaps there are some bugs eating the roots of them. A soil drench of diazonon should stop that. I'm not a fan of pesticides myself, so buying some beneficial nematodes and watering them in may be another solution. Hardly worth it though for just two pea plants. Perhaps you could sew some seeds directly in the late summer, and get a fall crop?

jemagsy

Leafing Out
Reaction score
That's what I'm thinking on the peas as well... it is getting very warm down here already - was in the high 80s (Fahrenheit) this week. So we'll see if these two make it & then try again this fall. I'd rather not use any pesticides.

We'll see what we can do about fencing off the garden.

Thank you.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Nematodes are repelled by marigolds. This may help. Although , bills is right, might be too late for peas.

You can repel rabbits by sprinkling blood meal on the ground and making a barrier. This stuff smells really bad (for everyone) but luckily usually you only have to apply it once a season. Also, making a barrier of onions and garlic may help prevent them from invading. This all depends on the size of your garden and if a barrier is possible.

Commercially sold predator urine (coyote or fox) is a good repellent and is pretty easy to apply.

silkiechicken

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Don't know about the carrots... but my bet it's too late for peas. When it reaches the 80's here... peas are already done for the season. They can be planted in like march here and can withstand light frost, while tomatoes go out next week.

Latest posts