Cat-scaping :P

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So Mojo went on another week-long hunger strike for no obvious reason (current best theory is a combo of ulcers and IBD set off by stress), causing me to drop all other projects and extend the cats' outdoor run last week.

Here is its attachment to the previous run you may have seen my pix of in an earlier thread, with Fredcat heading back to the house.

Moe-verpass007.jpg

Here's the 12' long "mOverpass", named in honor of that butthead Mo whose fault this all is :p (the other cats sure like it too, though) (that's His Royal Mo-ness in the pic)

Moe-verpass005.jpg

Here's the 6' high tower it connects to on the other end:

Moe-verpass001.jpg

And here is an overview of the whole shebang, complete with buckets and other random construction debris that I forgot to put away before getting out the camera:

Moe-verpass013.jpg

I figure passers-by might think it's just a weird looking arbor or trellis, right? Right? Yeah? Maybe? Oh well :p

And finally for no particular reason here is little Gracie Marie amongst the cedars:

Moe-verpass014.jpg

We do actually have another cat but his way of dealing with change is to define it as not having happened. Thus he has never been outdoors, the outdoors does not exist, no run has ever been built, etcetera. Our oldest child was a year and a half old before Bunny was willing to admit there was a kid in the house. I am not holding my breath for him to ever use the run :p

One more section is planned, once I finish fencing in 3 more acres for the horses (my current must-do project, nearly done). It will be a 2.5 x 2.5 x 12' passageway with Real Dirt Floor (wire underneath) tucked under the cedar hedge by the treetrunks.

If Mo goes on another hunger strike after that, I will have to buy more wire mesh :p

Pat

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That is wonderful what you have done there.

I must have missed something, can you please tell me/us why they can not go outside?

Real nice work and very creative!

Joe

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! That is a great set-up for your cats. My sister has a himalayan that wants to go outside all the time, but she's just not a bright little kitty and we're afraid she'll come up missing. I'll have to show her this. Did you make it yourself?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Injunjoe, I don't feel it would be right to let them loose outdoors because we live less than 60 feet back from a busy high-speed country road, with gravel trucks and commuter traffic whizzing by all the time at (I kid you not) 60-70 mph. Also there are a lot of coyotes around. Outdoor cats around here tend to have very short lifespans, unfortunately :(

Joan, yup, it's just knocked together from 2x4s (untreated, sealed with deck waterproofing stuff) and 2x2 wire mesh. When I finish the last part, the tunnel down along the cedar hedge, it will end up having been less than $300 in materials. The hardest part was working out how to attach it to the house without actually *attaching* it to the house -- if a person was willing to screw things onto the wall, and/or had a less inconveniently-located window to use, it would be easier to build.

Your sister should try building something, it is pretty easy. Googling "outdoor cat enclosures" brings up a number of pages with good ideas to browse.

I need to replace the cat flap in the window, though, as it is just waaaay too drafty and the magnetic catch tends not to close right :/ I am hoping that between a good quality double door, and putting clear plastic over the part right outside the cat flap, maybe I can keep it useable for them through part of the winter.

Pat

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The only window I think would suffice would be her bathroom window that faces the north side. I have three big azalea bushes under that window. As for as materials, I have some left over from the chicken coop. Even if it's just a little perch she sit on to enjoy the day, I think she'd be satisfied - she's so miserable cooped up in the house. I can't wait to show her this.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is Isis she has no front claws.

100_6361.jpg

Iris is a rescued cat, before she came to live here she hid from people and never seen the light of day.

She now goes outside and sticks close to home, I live a stones throw from US 19 a section listed as one of the most deadly sections of road in the country.

I have seen her run off strays even though see has no front claws.

Iris will come out when we have guests and visits now. Very proud of her how far she has come.

Joe

Greensage45

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That does not look comfortable, how is she sitting on a shelf of shells?

OUch! :barnie

LOL, Kittie torture device! LOL :weee

Ron

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Iris is a beauty! I am such a cat lover. We became the proud grandparents to a new grandkitty this past week. She is a little yellow and white. She was our grandaughters birthday gift.